PDA

View Full Version : More rainy day dreams: turbo versus engine swap

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 11:55 AM
On the cost-benefit scale, is a turbo kit always going to outperform an engine swap? As far as engine swaps go, what are my options?

A full-scale 400hp turbo kit is pretty appealing, but pricey at $6000+. Are there any interesting engine swap possibilities for that price or below? My existing engine should be worth at least a few hundred to somebody.

I want to do a tranny swap, too, so that I get a manual. Maybe there are economies of scale in doing that simultaneously with an engine swap?

The idea of a low-mileage M5 engine and tranny out of a wrecked car is pretty appealing.

kyleN20
11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
540i 6 speed, for all your spending, get a 540i 6 speed in good condition, you ought get some decent coin for your car, and then have to spend less than 6 to get a nice 540.

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 12:23 PM
540i 6 speed, for all your spending, get a 540i 6 speed in good condition, you ought get some decent coin for your car, and then have to spend less than 6 to get a nice 540.

Thanks for that advice.

I've thought about that. I might get 5-6k for my car, plus another 5 will get me a nice 540/6.

But..

I've just spent $5k on my car in the past three months, and it really is close to perfect now. It has new OE exhaust and Sachs suspension (which, I suppose, I could put on the 'new' car if I can afford to buy the 540 before selling the 535 -- but then there are labor costs associated with that). I'm afraid that if I buy another used E34 I'll have to spend $5k on it just to get it to the level of my current car. Even if I find a 'good' one, it's likely to need some work. And I've already spent that money on my 535i. In other words, it's sort of a matter of preferring the devil you know. My current car has all its gremlins sorted, and I know what to expect from it in the coming months. A 'new' car is an unknown quantity with potentially unforseen costs.

And my interior is perfect, and my car is exactly the color combo I want, and, and, and... after all that compromise, I 'only' get ~280hp. That's enough, but more would be nice for all that trouble.

So, a 540 is an option, but I'm not sure it's the best one.

Oh, one last thought. If I do end up shopping for a 'new' 540, then I'll also have to consider the E38 740 and E39 540, further complicating things. They're all virtually the same price. :D

Jose
11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Get a M5 engine with tranny. Should cost you more than 3k for the engine and 6 or 700 for the manual. Don't be too worried about reconditioning the engine too much as you would have to do the same with your current on when using it in a turbo set up.It would probably cost you even more. As for fuel economics, the M60 and s38 should be at almost the same level.

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Get a M5 engine with tranny.

Where do I start?

granit_silber
11-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Get a M5 engine with tranny. Should cost you more than 3k for the engine and 6 or 700 for the manual. Don't be too worried about reconditioning the engine too much as you would have to do the same with your current on when using it in a turbo set up.

I'm a little confused about the term "reconditioning". If it means replacing seals and other engine consumables than I'd almost agree. If it means rebuilding the engine (which is supposed to happen every ~120k on an "s") then I'd be worried about reconditioning an s38. A rebuild on a "s" motor will run between 10-15k (unless you can do it yourself). Personally, I'm not sure I would buy an s38 for 3k, but hey diferent strokes for different folks.

How'd you get 280hp out of the m30? (just curious)

-ashley

Dave M
11-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Where do I start?

The bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-BMW-M5-ENGINE-COMPLETE-NO-RESERVE-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ80 18536636QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) of course

You could pick it up in Michigan, go watch a red wings game,

Dave M

angrypancake
11-29-2005, 01:31 PM
The bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-BMW-M5-ENGINE-COMPLETE-NO-RESERVE-WARRANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ80 18536636QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) of course

Dave M

I've seen that auction probly 4 or 5 different times... I wonder why no one bought it yet

granit_silber
11-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Dave M

90 Day warranty?
Fits the e28 M5?
Fits the e24 M6?
Core Charge?
What about the ECU?

hmmmmm......

-ashley

Johntee540
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Those guys are good guys. Call them. they are very honest - I bought my reman transmission from them and they have stood behind it.

http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/

JT

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
How'd you get 280hp out of the m30? (just curious)

That was in reference to the 4 litre V8, not the M30.

Starting to sound like an M5 engine is gonna be pretty pricey...

Elekta
11-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Why not just put a 5 speed and a chip in your 3.5? It might be enough grin to hold you for a while. You've already got the most bullet proof motor as your base.

Tourer went in today.......5days baby.

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Why not just put a 5 speed and a chip in your 3.5? It might be enough grin to hold you for a while. You've already got the most bullet proof motor as your base.

Tourer went in today.......5days baby.

Well, whether I like it or not, that is what's going to happen. A tranny swap is a prerequisite IMHO for any more go-fast mods, and that alone will consume my car budget for the year.

I've got the chip already.

I'm really just dreaming here, and looking for a bit of an education. It will be some time before I can afford to throw $5k at my car in one lump sum.

Elekta
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Well, whether I like it or not, that is what's going to happen. A tranny swap is a prerequisite IMHO for any more go-fast mods, and that alone will consume my car budget for the year.

I've got the chip already.

I'm really just dreaming here, and looking for a bit of an education. It will be some time before I can afford to throw $5k at my car in one lump sum.

OT question: How do you activate your headlight washers? Is it on the wiper stalk? I am adding M5 bumps to my tourer and they came with washers. I have bought the extra fluid tank and the relay, but am unsure how they work. Do they come on when you wash the windshield? As I have the wagon, when you push the stalk away from you, that activates the rear washer. Is there an additional switch? Pics?

thanks, geoffrey

bimmerd00d
11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Crate LS1 if you aren't shunned by the thought of an American engine. The LS1 and a T56 6-spd in an E34 would be an amazing combination, the LS1 is one of the lightest V8's made.

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
OT question: How do you activate your headlight washers? Is it on the wiper stalk? I am adding M5 bumps to my tourer and they came with washers. I have bought the extra fluid tank and the relay, but am unsure how they work. Do they come on when you wash the windshield? As I have the wagon, when you push the stalk away from you, that activates the rear washer. Is there an additional switch? Pics?

thanks, geoffrey

They come on every so often on their own when you use the regular windsheild washer. Additionally, they come on every time you activate the more vigorous wash cycle, which uses fluid from a third resevoir, and is activated by pushing in on the right-side stalk.

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Crate LS1 if you aren't shunned by the thought of an American engine. The LS1 and a T56 6-spd in an E34 would be an amazing combination, the LS1 is one of the lightest V8's made.

I am open to all sugestions, and want to know about all the options.

Tell me more!