PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch install

peterllo
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Purchased a new ignition switch. The one in the car is so worn the key comes out while in gear.

Following the Bentley guide I used a piece of hard wire, one of those dealer key rings straightened out, turn the ignition to the 60 degree position, inserted the wire and .... the switch won't come out?

What am I missing here?

Bill R.
11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
angle to the outside of the switch ..http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ignition.jpg

Purchased a new ignition switch. The one in the car is so worn the key comes out while in gear.

Following the Bentley guide I used a piece of hard wire, one of those dealer key rings straightened out, turn the ignition to the 60 degree position, inserted the wire and .... the switch won't come out?

What am I missing here?

Dash01
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Use a heavy duty paperclip, bent ~15 degrees at a point about ~1/4" from the tip. Insert the paperclip to a depth of about an inch, with the bent tip facing away from the centerline of the ignition lock. As depicted previously, the key must be at the ~60 degree position for the internal holes to line up and for the paperclip to work.

DaCan23
11-29-2005, 02:11 PM
To get an idea of what to do and how it works, you can put the key in the new one and put the tool/clip/wire in that one to see what movements raise the clip/bar thingy.

It was a little of a PITA to get mine out, and remember installition is the same steps.