PDA

View Full Version : Disabling "brake linings" message

Tcdoe
11-29-2005, 05:28 AM
I bought some aftermaket brake pads (ferodo ds performance), which do not have the grooves for the wear sensor. This means I'm frequently getting the "brake linings" message on the OBC. Does anyone know how to disable this feature? I've heard that simply shorting the wires won't work, so apparently I need to use some sort of resistor. Anyone know what kind? Any other tips?

Javier
11-29-2005, 06:47 AM
the two wires going to the sensor in the pad. As soon as the link is opened, the message appears. Shorting the two wires going to the pad sensor will disable the system. If you still have a good sensor, just plug it in and attach it somewhere out of the way of the front wheel system. It will also short the two wires disabling the message, and will be a more clean solution.

If you have an already wore sensor, just bridge the two copper inserts in the sensor with some copper wire and soldering, or simply cut out the sensor and join the two wires. Then plug and attach it as described before.

Javier

Tcdoe
11-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks Javier, the solution is so simple I dunno why I didn't think of that. :)

Alexlind123
11-29-2005, 10:03 AM
cschollum was right, joining the wires will work to diable the message. It did on my car. I dont know why twisting them together is "unclean" but its your car :D

uscharalph
11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
isnt that what i said, join the wires together?
You just weren't completely clear about which wires.

Tcdoe
11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Sorry, thanks to cschollum too. I think I'm still just gonna fit a new sensor and tuck it away somewhere, just in case I switch back to normal pads at some point.

Javier
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
further elaborate on the sensor operation and clarify to bridge after connector to avoid permanent damage to the system.

Javier