PDA

View Full Version : E&HD Turbo Kits (Ebay and Home Depot, that is)

Jay 535i
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
This guy is selling what he claims are instructions for creating a fully-functional turbo kit out of parts exclusively from ebay and Home Depot.

Not caring, for the moment, if his instructions are any good -- d'you think it's possible to do as he's basically claiming? To build a funcitonal, reliable turbo kit with a mishmash of bits you find on ebay and a few plumbing parts? Would be fun to try...

kyleN20
11-28-2005, 11:54 PM
i think it could be done, decently cheap too, just need to do your homework like anything else

shogun
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Francoise is presently a V12 turbo with parts all bought from these sources. Look at the pics, finally 700 HP is the target.
http://www.v12extreme.com/
pic
http://www.v12extreme.com/ipost/turbonit1.jpg

infinity5
11-29-2005, 12:46 AM
The first place I go when I want to work on my car is homedepot :)

emw525E34
11-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Shogun,

How the heck is that V12 going to mount into the engine bay with those intimidating turbos raised in the air ?. Hood off ?. two huge holes on the hood with "alien" looking plumbing going downwards, I am at a lost to figure out why those turbos should be stricking up so high. I would expect near the exhaust ports would allow space for them ?. Am I missing something or this engine is just an art piece for somebody's living room ?
One never knows after seeing Jeremy Clarkson making a coffee table off a V8 block, very artistic solution for a car nut, I would say.

mikell
11-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Why not? Some guy was selling turbos made from hairdriers - or at least that what it looked like. So, Home Depot or Walgreens, what's the diff?

TheDuke
11-29-2005, 11:33 AM
There was a web page with I believe 89 318 BMW, the owner made a turbo from old Isuzu hair dryer and other scrap parts.

Jose
11-29-2005, 12:58 PM
If it only wasso easy to make afunctional turbo set up with exact timings, wastegates, turbine wheel diameter, exhaust back-pressure and even keeping the engine in one piece....

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 01:06 PM
If it only wasso easy to make afunctional turbo set up with exact timings, wastegates, turbine wheel diameter, exhaust back-pressure and even keeping the engine in one piece....

Naturally, a well-tuned precision set-up is ideal, but, given that turbocharging is such a simple principle, I'd think there would be significant gains even with a lash-up kit and minimal tuning.