PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Rattling Noise Between 55 and 65

Bean
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi!

This is such a great website- I'm glad I found it. I just bought a 1995 530i with 130,000 and the Alumisil engine. I brought it to a mechanic for a pre-sale inspection last week. He said the car was in good overall shape and recommended buying it. However, there were a number of niggling things he said needed to be fixed.

1. Value Gasket Cover has a leak
2. Power Steering fluid is low
3. Air Pimp has rusty water and should be replaced.
4. Oil pan has a leak

All of these things seem reasonable for a 10 year old car. It had one ownerfrom 1995 to September 2005. Since then, it went to auction and then to a couple of used car dealers.

The car is in really great shape. The exterior is beautiful and the interior is sa-weet.

My question is: when I've driven it out on the highway, I've heard a rattling sound (like a loose piece of metal flapping in the wind) from the time to time. It only occurs between speeds of 50 and 65 mph. The sound only happens once in a while and always stops below 50 and over 65. There is no shimmy or shaking or any other noises or problems.

Based on my review of the archives, it seems like this is either a loose heat shield, the vavle gasket cover or german speaking mice with small cymbals.

I'm looking forward to reading your advice and participating in this forum for many years to come!

Bean

632 Regal
11-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I vote on the german speaking mice with small cymbals.

Congrats on your new car! Get it up on ramps and check the heat shield and go from there.

Scott C
11-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi!

This is such a great website- I'm glad I found it. I just bought a 1995 530i with 130,000 and the Alumisil engine. I brought it to a mechanic for a pre-sale inspection last week. He said the car was in good overall shape and recommended buying it. However, there were a number of niggling things he said needed to be fixed.

4. Oil pan has a leak

All of these things seem reasonable for a 10 year old car. It had one ownerfrom 1995 to September 2005. Since then, it went to auction and then to a couple of used car dealers.

The car is in really great shape. The exterior is beautiful and the interior is sa-weet.

My question is: when I've driven it out on the highway, I've heard a rattling sound (like a loose piece of metal flapping in the wind) from the time to time. It only occurs between speeds of 50 and 65 mph. The sound only happens once in a while and always stops below 50 and over 65. There is no shimmy or shaking or any other noises or problems.

Based on my review of the archives, it seems like this is either a loose heat shield, the vavle gasket cover or german speaking mice with small cymbals.

I'm looking forward to reading your advice and participating in this forum for many years to come!

Bean

And another option could be...
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16401

RobPatt
11-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Great car, will need maintenance, but nothing can't be handled w/a Bentley's book, this website, www.bmwe34.net, BMA Import Parts (on the web) and a simple logical common sense approach. It will be a rewarding experience! Hope you enjoy. -Rob.

3725jj
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi!

4. Oil pan has a leak

Bean

I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET THE CAR UP ON A HOIST OR JACK IT UP SAFELY SO YOU CAN SEE AND REACH THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. USING A RUBBER MALLET OR A GLOVED HAND HIT OR SHAKE THE CONVERTER. THE CONVERTER IS CONSTURCTED OF CERAMIC TILES THAT CAN CRACK OR BECOME LOOSE. SOMETIMES THE SOUND EMITTED FROM THE EXHAUST IS A CLUE. YOU WILL HEAR A RATTLE SOUND AT VARIOUS SPEEDS DEPENDING ON THE VIBRATION OF THE ENGINE. HOPE THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM AND IF IT IS, DON'T TAKE IT TO A BMW DEALER. INSTEAD TAKE IT TO A CERTIFIED EXHAUST SHOP FOR AN AFTER MARKET CONVERTER. GOOD LUCK

3725jj
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
undefined
I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET THE CAR UP ON A HOIST OR JACK IT UP SAFELY SO YOU CAN SEE AND REACH THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. USING A RUBBER MALLET OR A GLOVED HAND HIT OR SHAKE THE CONVERTER. THE CONVERTER IS CONSTURCTED OF CERAMIC TILES THAT CAN CRACK OR BECOME LOOSE. SOMETIMES THE SOUND EMITTED FROM THE EXHAUST IS A CLUE. YOU WILL HEAR A RATTLE SOUND AT VARIOUS SPEEDS DEPENDING ON THE VIBRATION OF THE ENGINE. HOPE THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM AND IF IT IS, DON'T TAKE IT TO A BMW DEALER. INSTEAD TAKE IT TO A CERTIFIED EXHAUST SHOP FOR AN AFTER MARKET CONVERTER. GOOD LUCK

peks
11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
those cymbal playing mice again.. and definitely get the air pimp checked out.