PDA

View Full Version : Radiator additives?

peterllo
11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Anybody used or know of someone who has used Thermagasket or SteelSeal in their cooling system? Any pros or cons?

I believe I have a slight headgasket leak. I have some seepage on the block on the right side up by the A/C compressor, mysterious coolant loss, and the car is going for its' fourth radiator in two years. Number two was done in April and the replacement is leaking in the same spot the other one was. I haven't had a compression test done yet but...

Googling it seems to generate hits linked back to the distributors so I thought I'd post the question here.

shogun
11-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I would not use any of this stuff, although I do not know them.
I just disassembled the heater valves of an 1988 E32 750iL.
They are just right in front of me. All covered with white stuff like white candle wax, but not that hard.
One plastic stud if filled half with that stuff.

uscharalph
11-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Anybody used or know of someone who has used Thermagasket or SteelSeal in their cooling system? Any pros or cons?

I believe I have a slight headgasket leak. I have some seepage on the block on the right side up by the A/C compressor, mysterious coolant loss, and the car is going for its' fourth radiator in two years. Number two was done in April and the replacement is leaking in the same spot the other one was. I haven't had a compression test done yet but...

Googling it seems to generate hits linked back to the distributors so I thought I'd post the question here.
Don't do it!!!

Kalevera
11-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Search "CarGo Seal Up" on the forums.

Personally, I feel that it's easier to replace the head gasket than it is to deal with a cracked/warped head or block....even on a VaNOS 525. I'm in the middle of putting a 735 back together because someone found it unimportant that the water pump blew out, then had a new pump RTV'd in place. I pulled the head and the coolant passages were filled with strings of the stuff. If RTV can mess up an engine block, I can only imagine what this sealer stuff can do when not correctly applied. The overheating was probably the cause of the subsequent blown gasket and warped head. So, a $150 repair became a $1500 one.

best, whit