PDA

View Full Version : Over Heat

CVBMW
11-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I Just bought the car one week ago and it was running fine. Yesterday I was on my way home and the temp gage shot to the red very quickly. Im going to change out the thermastat tonight but thinking it could be water pump.
any hints or ideas let me know thanks

peterllo
11-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Are there any other symptoms? Smoke, antifreeze drips, ect?

zuzuk212
11-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Are there any other symptoms? Smoke, antifreeze drips, ect?
Also ... allong the lines of drips, how is the fluid level? We need more info to help.

Ken

CVBMW
11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Also ... allong the lines of drips, how is the fluid level? We need more info to help.

Ken
fluid level was a little low after it cooled off. there was some fluid around every where but could have blow around from driving home. refilled fluid and took for a short drive heated up again but no fluid. is there a over flow? thanks for your help :)

zuzuk212
11-29-2005, 09:19 PM
fluid level was a little low after it cooled off. there was some fluid around every where but could have blow around from driving home. refilled fluid and took for a short drive heated up again but no fluid. is there a over flow? thanks for your help :)

Fluid every where? So, all over the engine bay? Can the area be narrowed down from the whole bay to drivers side lower or upper front ... etc? You've got to try and pin point. Clean up the bay and then run the engine to see if you can find the leak.

There are a lot of problem areas, so narrow it down. Also, do a search on this forum to see what problems others have had. Leaks are common but there are different areas to consider.

Ken

John in CT
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
The water pump impeller can fail and it sounds like you may have that failure. Did i understand correctly the second try with full fluid overheated too??

John
1995 525i w/ new water pump....