PDA

View Full Version : ::.. How many bulbs in the cluster?

Qube
11-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm going to replace all of the bulbs in the cluster since I have three out now. If I were to do so, how many of each would I need? I can't seem to find a definitive answer in searching or the ETK.

So far, I know that I'll need at LEAST:

3x3 watt
5x1.2 watt

Can anyone help? I'm going to swing by the dealer later. Of course, they might be able to give me the answer but I'd rather ask here first! :) Thanks!

BTW this is a manual tranny cluster.

uscharalph
11-27-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm going to replace all of the bulbs in the cluster since I have three out now. If I were to do so, how many of each would I need? I can't seem to find a definitive answer in searching or the ETK.

So far, I know that I'll need at LEAST:

3x3 watt
5x1.2 watt

Can anyone help? I'm going to swing by the dealer later. Of course, they might be able to give me the answer but I'd rather ask here first! :) Thanks!

BTW this is a manual tranny cluster.
There's a picture I downloaded from this site but it's too big to post here. Send me an email and I'll e-mail it to you.

Jr ///M5
11-27-2005, 06:07 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html

Here's the procedure for pulling the airbag and replacing the bulbs. It's courtesy of our own Bill R. Special Thanks to Bill for the documentation.

Hope this helps,
Jr

Qube
11-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks to you both. In the link, I'll be able to extrapolate how many bulbs I need. What would be REALLY nice is to know what kind of bulbs are needed so I don't have to take it out, check it, then go buy them. This is assuming per the link "The 1.5 watt bulbs I had to get from Bmw, all the rest were available through aftermarket sources."

One more note though... do I still really have to discon the battery if I don't have an airbag?

shogun
11-28-2005, 01:59 AM
in Germany they speak of 12 V 3 W for all ??
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3585/zwischenablage018wg.jpg

Paul in NZ
11-28-2005, 02:44 AM
the etk tells all

Bill R.
11-28-2005, 10:46 AM
ones on my airbag page, the bulbs for yours are pictured as follows for an early 89http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster1%20copy.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster2copy.jpg

I would still disconnect the battery even though you don't have an airbag just to prevent any problems with any circuits such as the link to the obc from the dash cluster, its not a big deal to disconnect and its always safer.

Thanks to you both. In the link, I'll be able to extrapolate how many bulbs I need. What would be REALLY nice is to know what kind of bulbs are needed so I don't have to take it out, check it, then go buy them. This is assuming per the link "The 1.5 watt bulbs I had to get from Bmw, all the rest were available through aftermarket sources."

One more note though... do I still really have to discon the battery if I don't have an airbag?

Qube
11-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Bill, awesome pictures... however... If I count the arrows, the number of bulbs isn't correct... should I follow the numbers or the actual number of sockets... the arrows? Or?

Also, do you know what type of bulb they are?

shogun
11-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Just remove the cluster, remove the bulbs, check how many you need and what Watt they have. That is the 100% safe method.
These bulbs are not that expensive.
I replaced them all once instead of only some which failed. Then you do not have to worry for the next years.

realness
11-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Just remove the cluster, remove the bulbs, check how many you need and what Watt they have. That is the 100% safe method.
I replaced them all once instead of only some which failed. Then you do not have to worry for the next years.

Is the dealer the only place you can get these bulbs?

Qube
11-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Know what, I'm just going to the dealer and tell them I need all the bulbs for the cluster. I'll see what they say and how much ;)

... can no one tell me if these are some standard type of wedge bulbs or something? The photos from Bavauto don't help. I assume the bulbs separate from the base... and I assume it's a wedge :|

ryan roopnarine
11-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Know what, I'm just going to the dealer and tell them I need all the bulbs for the cluster. I'll see what they say and how much ;)

... can no one tell me if these are some standard type of wedge bulbs or something? The photos from Bavauto don't help. I assume the bulbs separate from the base... and I assume it's a wedge :|

sigh, i wanted to do the same thing.
i called the dealer, all of the bulbs seem to be about $2.65 USD here, so replacing them all is like a $50-60 affair. i was hoping that bill would chime in with where one could get the bulbs from other sources, even if it isn't all of them.

Qube
12-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Got ALL the bulbs today ~$43 CAD. Going to change them when the snow stops :)