PDA

View Full Version : Can I put an overdrive 5th gear in my '93 525i?

theirongiant
11-26-2005, 11:14 PM
My '93 525i has a 1:1 ratio 5th gear, but I would prefer a more relaxed journey with possibly an 0.92 or 0.85 gear. Can such a modification be made to an otherwise-stock manual transmission?

winfred
11-26-2005, 11:25 PM
the fun-est but most expensive would be score a 6 speed from a euro e36 m3 and get a drive shaft built to fit it, otherwise a taller diff ratio would make highway driving better, lower #s = taller

winfred
11-26-2005, 11:32 PM
i am eventially going to get one of these for my diesel http://www.gearvendors.com/ so i can have a double overdrive .73 allready but it redlines at 3k so double od would be nice 4-500 foot pounds of torque gives you some options :D , too bad they don't make them for bimmers

theirongiant
11-26-2005, 11:33 PM
the fun-est but most expensive would be score a 6 speed from a euro e36 m3 and get a drive shaft built to fit it, otherwise a taller diff ratio would make highway driving better, lower #s = taller

But lower numbers also mean slower acceleration, so to counter-act this I would need to get a lighter flywheel. Is that correct?

winfred
11-26-2005, 11:49 PM
yep slower off the line, flywheel wouldn't help much but 30-40 more hp would help counter it nicely if you didn't go too low with the ratio

But lower numbers also mean slower acceleration, so to counter-act this I would need to get a lighter flywheel. Is that correct?

Kalevera
11-27-2005, 03:41 AM
As I think Winfred is saying, there's not a lot that can be done without spending a bit of cash.

The economical "upgrade" is a tradeoff -- slower acceleration/higher theoretical top speed.

It's probably not worth monkeying around with a high mileage 220 to begin with. I don't know what Bill or Winfred have to say about it, but it has always been my understanding that they're not noted for their durability.

best, whit