PDA

View Full Version : chains

Andrea K
11-26-2005, 10:41 PM
i seem to have "missplaced" my snow tires, and have already experienced the anxiety of driving in just a little snow/ice (just a patch around a turn...the back went flying). so my dilemma is steadily approaching as it is getting colder and more and more likely to snow. my question is, would it be okay to put chains on my tires :D ? has anyone done this? or is it an incredibly bad idea?

i have a feeling that it can't be good if one of the chains breaks, but im desperate for a solution as i can't afford new snow tires :(

misfortune
11-26-2005, 10:56 PM
i seem to have "missplaced" my snow tires, and have already experienced the anxiety of driving in just a little snow/ice (just a patch around a turn...the back went flying). so my dilemma is steadily approaching as it is getting colder and more and more likely to snow. my question is, would it be okay to put chains on my tires :D ? has anyone done this? or is it an incredibly bad idea?

i have a feeling that it can't be good if one of the chains breaks, but im desperate for a solution as i can't afford new snow tires :(

I can't offer any help, but I offer my condolences that you have JonK as your brother. :(

And yes, driving the e34 in the snow is a scary experience. I've had little experience, but its been really icy here in DFW 2 days last year.
good luck!

Gayle
11-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought chains are for deeper snow not city driving. Where are you doing your driving? What is the snow removal like?

You get the hang of driving in snow after a little while. It is like you forget every year and then re-learn in the first few weeks of winter.

I lived in the snowbelt for 13 years and never had snow tires. But I lived places where they plowed daily and salted the roads. It was scarey when it was fresh and unplowed, but you just go slow, try to let the car slow down without using the brakes, try to keep the wheels straight, and ease around turns, and try to stay out of the way of the fools who are not doing this.

Chains eat your tires :( How did you misplace your snow tires? When I misplace something, I go back to the first place I looked and look harder. It usually works.

Good luck.

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 12:00 AM
do a search, this was discussed last winter also. The concensus was that you can damage your car because of the close clearance issues to the struts/fenders, etc.

genphreak
11-27-2005, 02:36 AM
I have chains for mine, but in Oz one doesn't get much chance to really put much them thru their paces. AFAIC work out it depends very much on tyre size and rim offset as to whether they will fit. This vital info is absent from the original post so I can't comment further. All I can say is my wheels are stock E31 (840i/850i) 16x7.5 with 225/55x16 tyres.

Many peeps with such rims like to go for 235/50s at a much larger buy price. I think my chains would have trouble with this width, looking at the clearances at full lock.

E34-520iSE
11-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi! I use my chains every winter to get my e34 moving. I live on the side of a very slight hill but any snow on the ground stops me moving. My wheels are the standard BBS alloys with 225/60/15 alloys. The chains are a bit of a pain to fit but when they're on the adhesion is incredible! I have given them a bit of right-foot abuse and haven't broke one yet! A truly amazing invention - you get to laugh at people stuck in the snow!

HTH,

Shaun

Jon K
11-27-2005, 12:49 PM
I really advised my sister to not put chains on her car. Andrea, if one breaks which it probabl will, you're getting the new quarter panel welded on, I am not doing it! Haha. Don't do it, just find your damned snow tires.

Gayle
11-27-2005, 12:53 PM
do a search, this was discussed last winter also. The concensus was that you can damage your car because of the close clearance issues to the struts/fenders, etc.

So Jeff--I am getting the idea that there is a seasonal cycle here. In May all we talked about was detailing issues. I remember June when when all we talked about was over-heating issues. There here was some engine thing in October (don't remember what) that you said we go through every year as the temps fall. And you could hear the winter is coming apprehension in a lot of posts. This is starting to feel like a "fruit of the month" club. So what is the full yearly cycle? What do we deal with when? Maybe threads dealing with the representative issues belong in your area of the archives. Just a thought.

Jay 535i
11-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Chains are illegal in many areas because they damage the roads. Check your local laws.

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Hard to designate a full yearly cycle, a lot of people are in different areas. Just like the difference between here in Michigan/florida/Canadia. The longer you hang around the more you will see paterns but then all of a sudden you get an overheating issue in the middle of sub zero temps where I am.

It's cool tho to get a change-up now and then.

I'm still wondering what to do with my archive section as I cant do anything but park threads there, and then you cant post to them or edit or anything.

Andrea K
11-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I really advised my sister to not put chains on her car. Andrea, if one breaks which it probabl will, you're getting the new quarter panel welded on, I am not doing it! Haha. Don't do it, just find your damned snow tires.

ok! so you'll help me dig out the car when i slide into a ditch, thanks!
:D

has anyone seen my snow tires?!

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 02:13 PM
no but you have the famous RED X.

kyleN20
11-28-2005, 01:11 AM
park it for the winter, buy a H1

ryan roopnarine
11-28-2005, 11:10 AM

you should really be more mindful of where you put your things.
last i saw of them, some old lady was heaving them through the window of a discount tire company store.....

:D , jk.

Hal
11-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Here in California there are "Chain Controls" over the mountain passes enforced by the Highway Patrol. Quite often chains will be required for 2-wheel drive vehicles durng and after a snowstorm, even with 4 season or winter tires. I run stock 225/60/15's and have had no problems with chain clearance. I have always used cable chains and made sure that they are in good condition and are installed as tightly as possible. As long as there is a certain amount of snow on the ground, the ride is relatively quiet, but you must go REALLY SLOWLY (e.g 20-25 mph). On bare pavement, however, it is not a pleasant experience and I am sure it is bad for the tires. Unfortunately there is often chain control in place well after the roads are completely clear, and taking the chains off under these circumstances can result in a ticket.

Hal
1994 530iT Nikasil powered
1999 528iT

zuzuk212
11-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Some places outlaw them ... some demand that they be on, I believe parts of Canada demand that they are on. They really are for tons of snow on the road ... mostly areas that get little attention from DOT.

Learn your cars limitations instead of working around your fear. You can still get into trouble with the chains on. When you make a change to your car, you need to learn what the new limitations are! I have changed from a sporty tire to snow tires before and it is a scary change in handling ...

I've been able to get through a lot in rear wheel cars.
You know not to downshift, hard accelerate or hard brake in turns right?

It's difficult to give driving input when we don't know how much experience you have.
But, I think that you should get out and learn your car ... any body else think the same?

pyro
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
i dont' live in the snow but i go to the snow to go sking and 2 wd cars are required to have tire chains... so i guess i just cant go to the snow. That cant be right. I have used cable ties and they work just fine on our volvo so im not to worried.

TheDuke
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Get some momentum before u hit the hill, and pop it into 2nd gear, just like driving a truck. If you are really desperate go on reverse... works every time:)