PDA

View Full Version : Trans pan magnet

mbogosia
11-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I am in the process of changing my trans fluid and filter and had a question. When I cleaned my pan out the magnet was covered in metal shavings. My filter also looked to be pretty well clogged. Is this normal for a high mileage trans? As long as it doesn't go fubar on me I should get much better performance just because of the increased flow.

Alexlind123
11-26-2005, 09:27 PM
My magnets were covered in metal shavings as well, thats what theyre there for :D As long as there are no chunks of metal in the pan you should be fine.

632 Regal
11-26-2005, 10:04 PM
the buildup is fairly normal if never changed, it comes from the clutch friction disks and the steel disks between. Nevt filter replacement should be much cleaner at appx 30k.

uscharalph
11-27-2005, 02:11 AM
I am in the process of changing my trans fluid and filter and had a question. When I cleaned my pan out the magnet was covered in metal shavings. My filter also looked to be pretty well clogged. Is this normal for a high mileage trans? As long as it doesn't go fubar on me I should get much better performance just because of the increased flow.
Just did mine and had the same experience. It didn't look like mine had been serviced in a long time, if ever.