PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Are these shocks stock?

Qube
11-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Are these the original shocks for my car?

BigKriss
11-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Are these the original shocks for my car?

. no, the boge shocks are stock.

Qube
11-25-2005, 10:42 PM
no, the boge shocks are stock.

So if that holds true, I can assume that these shocks can't be that old and swapping in sport springs should be all right.

Does this look like a stock fender gap with a 3/4 tank of fuel?

On that note, how would I be able to discern stock springs from aftermarket?

genphreak
11-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Stock springs have a dab of red paint usually, perhaps blue or green (others may know better) and perhaps a BMW part number (I think)- which would tell all. Will have a look at a set I have here and tell you soon. Your gap looks stock to me, those shocks (F46-1221) are HDs, so they should be used with stock springs. To lower the car, get a $650 odd Sashs kit (www.bmaparts.com (http://www.bmaparts.com)) or (for a cheaper solution) switch the front spring pads to 3mm (dropping the front of the car 6mm) for about $8 total (plus labour/time) ;). Your front shocks have internal bump stops and won't be the right setting for a lower spring.

To change the springs and stick with the same shocks, you could ask Bilstein to reset them to a Sport setting- they just take them apart and revalve them I think). NOt sure if the built-in bump-stops are changed/adjusted any. :)

wingman
11-26-2005, 02:26 AM
Stock on the early cars are BOGE. They also have the BMW roundel and a BMW part number. Orange is one colour they came in.

Qube
11-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Stock springs have a dab of red paint usually, perhaps blue or green (others may know better) and perhaps a BMW part number (I think)- which would tell all. Will have a look at a set I have here and tell you soon. Your gap looks stock to me, those shocks (F46-1221) are HDs, so they should be used with stock springs. To lower the car, get a $650 odd Sashs kit (www.bmaparts.com (http://www.bmaparts.com)) or (for a cheaper solution) switch the front spring pads to 3mm (dropping the front of the car 6mm) for about $8 total (plus labour/time) ;). Your front shocks have internal bump stops and won't be the right setting for a lower spring.

To change the springs and stick with the same shocks, you could ask Bilstein to reset them to a Sport setting- they just take them apart and revalve them I think). NOt sure if the built-in bump-stops are changed/adjusted any. :)

Thanks everyone for the comprehensive info (esp genphreak :) ). I'll wait till spring and... 'spring' for the Sachs kit. No short way around it. :D

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 12:04 AM
looks like your doing a wheelie.

So if that holds true, I can assume that these shocks can't be that old and swapping in sport springs should be all right.

Does this look like a stock fender gap with a 3/4 tank of fuel?

On that note, how would I be able to discern stock springs from aftermarket?

genphreak
11-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the comprehensive info (esp genphreak :) ). I'll wait till spring and... 'spring' for the Sachs kit. No short way around it. :DJust checked, I got red on a 540 front spring, pink on the 540 rear.