PDA

View Full Version : Staggered T-stars

Ted K
11-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Going out to get tires today for these for my 90 535im. What do you recommend?

Scott H
11-25-2005, 03:15 PM
front 235/45/17 rear 255/40/17

what is your price point, for what climates, you need all season, sport only, etc etc?

If you can scrounge up the money for those wheels, they should probably be wrapped in Michelin PS2....that will be my next summer tire for the staggared setup on my M5

Going out to get tires today for these for my 90 535im. What do you recommend?

MBXB
11-25-2005, 03:26 PM
FR 235/45/17 R255/40/17
Kumhos came with the wheels. 7 on a 10 scale.
I'll be looking for something different when this set wears out.

Ted K
11-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Scott, Is this a stock size? I am thinking of going as large as I can. PS 2 would be good. The car will have a Sachs kit with the 3mm upper pads. My weather is rain for 6mo and dry for about 6 mos.
Did you need the Kmac's for the front with this set up?

Ted K
11-25-2005, 03:57 PM
WHat do you think of running 245/40-17 Front and 265/40-17 rear? Would this mess the ABS up at all?

Scott H
11-25-2005, 04:52 PM
your front and rear overall diameters are similar, or within a reasonable difference, you should be fine. Yes, 235/45 and 255/40 are stock sizes.

When I bought the M5, the PO had 275 width tires on the rear and they rubber the fender when I had any load in the trunk or rear seat. I got rid of them immediately. He also had 245s on the front. I personally don't see any reason for running anything wider than stock sizes unless it's for asthetics. If you are going to the track with it, I believe same sizes all around are even better and 245/40 all around seems to be a popular setup among those that go to the track.

I think you would be fine with 265 in the rear but there might be some rubbing if you have a load other than yourself. With 265, you might want a 35 profile. Here is a link to a tire size comparison calculator that should help with calculating any odd tire sizes compared to stock.

Sweet tire calculator (http://www.discountpartcenter.com/tirecalc.html)

As far as the KMACs go, you won't need any camber adjustments to get wider tires to fit. I have a set of KMACs that I am currently not using. I believe the urethane bushing in it transmits too much harshness to the strut tower and the rest of the car. I have a set of ireland engineering fixed plates on the M5 and they achieve a great compromise for road and track use. With the KMACs at full tweak I had 3 degrees of neg camber on the 535 and with the fixed plates on the M5 I have 2.5 degrees. Any more and I would be wearing out the inside block way too much......

Those are my experiences and opinions.

Have fun!
Scott

WHat do you think of running 245/40-17 Front and 265/40-17 rear? Would this mess the ABS up at all?

Ted K
11-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks Scott , Great help.

Scott H
11-25-2005, 05:07 PM
If you are interested in minimizing inside tire wear in the rear, make sure the spring perch setting on the rear shock body is in the high setting. There should be two seats for the cir-clip to sit in. It comes in the low position by default. Also will help keep away from rubbing if you decide to go wide in the rear as on the low setting the rear is tucked a bit while the high setting the tire sits about at the top of the wheel arch. The low setting allows the rear to squat a bit more, increasing negative camber to the point where it accelerates uneven tire wear. The upper setting really relieved that problem quite a bit!

Scott

Thanks Scott , Great help.

Ted K
11-25-2005, 08:51 PM
If you are interested in minimizing inside tire wear in the rear, make sure the spring perch setting on the rear shock body is in the high setting. There should be two seats for the cir-clip to sit in. It comes in the low position by default. Also will help keep away from rubbing if you decide to go wide in the rear as on the low setting the rear is tucked a bit while the high setting the tire sits about at the top of the wheel arch. The low setting allows the rear to squat a bit more, increasing negative camber to the point where it accelerates uneven tire wear. The upper setting really relieved that problem quite a bit!

Scott
Thanks again Scott
No place in Town had the tires. So I have to wait. Here are the rims

Brandon J
11-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Scott and I have very similar suspension set-ups and I like to use the lower setting as it gives the rear more cornering stability. I worry less about the rear giving out when I push an off ramp. I have Pilot Sports on the e34 and PS2s on the e39 and they are both very good tires. The Pilot Sports are made for some comfortability while maintaining very high perfomance. The PS2s are slightly harder, grip better, and working temp is higher compared to the Pilot Sports. I noticed it more so when it got colder here in Chicago. Both types are very very good tires and they last longer than comparable high perfomance tires. PS2s just grip better in dry and wet. With a Sachs kit you should be good in the handling department. I would recommend a set of sway bars to compliment the whole package and make it work really well.

Scott

Qsilver7
11-26-2005, 04:26 PM
FR 235/45/17 R255/40/17
Kumhos came with the wheels. 7 on a 10 scale.
I'll be looking for something different when this set wears out.

Of late, I have found this fascinating and hilarious...for some reason many people make it seems as if Kumho only makes one tire. When tires are being discussed the Michelin Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S get mentioned or the Pirelli PZero, or the Good Year Eagle F1, etc..but no matter what Kumho tire one may have (they have all types)...they only write "I had or I have Kumhos"...which makes me always wonder "which ones?"

So, which Kumho's did you have? Do you have Ecsta 712's, 711's, SPT's, ASX's, MX's...Kumho sells winter/snow tires, all-season tires, high & ultra high performance tires, competition tires, etc...see what I mean?

Saying you have Kumhos without mentioning which model...doesn't allow us to compare apples to apples. :D

MBXB
11-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Tires are MX'x

Of late, I have found this fascinating and hilarious...for some reason many people make it seems as if Kumho only makes one tire. When tires are being discussed the Michelin Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S get mentioned or the Pirelli PZero, or the Good Year Eagle F1, etc..but no matter what Kumho tire one may have (they have all types)...they only write "I had or I have Kumhos"...which makes me always wonder "which ones?"

So, which Kumho's did you have? Do you have Ecsta 712's, 711's, SPT's, ASX's, MX's...Kumho sells winter/snow tires, all-season tires, high & ultra high performance tires, competition tires, etc...see what I mean?

Saying you have Kumhos without mentioning which model...doesn't allow us to compare apples to apples. :D