PDA

View Full Version : ::: 535 for turbo project :::

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I have the chance to re-purchase my old 535i for short cash as pops is tired of the car now and is looking for a new one instead. I have been looking for a project for a while and was toying with a '60s muscle car restification until recently but the E34 is really my favourite for stealth and '60s US iron is just too common and crude.

It is a 1990 5 speed, silver with black inside and 260,000kms on the clock. It is in need of a new differential as the current one howls like a banshee. Since it already needs a new diff, it would be an opportunity to change to a more suitable ratio for turbo - perhaps 3.15.

The engine is strong and burns no oil but is quite leaky (oil). I would do a tear-down for gaskets and perhaps pistons for a lower CR. The turbo project would be done with an eye to low cost and I would make room for the extra bits by eliminating the AC and other accessories if needed.

I love my M5 and will keep it for summer use but, if you can believe it, there's just not enough power for a 2 ton car and adding significant performance to the S38B36 is nigh on impossible.

Am I nuts?

AllGo'n'Show
11-25-2005, 12:26 PM
yes your nuts! Whats the phone # for the 5? ;)

Just kidding.

No man if I were you I would go for it, would be sweet to see a turbo 5 series flying around here.

The teardown of the engine sounds like the best plan of action. New gaskets, new pistons, new rings, new hard to reach sensors etc.., I mean the thing has 300,000km on it, sure they still run good stock but who knows what will happen when you throw FI on it. You'd be much ahppier fixing it then throwing FI on nad having it to drive then throwing FI on, blowing it then having to fix it.

Incantation
11-25-2005, 05:45 PM
if you are in calgary i wanna come check out the car when you are done (i'm in vancouver)

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
if you are in calgary i wanna come check out the car when you are done (i'm in vancouver)

When and if I'm done I'll be driving to Vancouver. Quickly at that... :)

Scott H
11-25-2005, 06:06 PM
I don't care to drive the M5 in winters here, and I wanted a project that would make good use out of all the stuff I had on my old 535.

There is a possibility that down the line once I get the m30/5-spd swap done on the wagon, I will turbo it. I'm rebuilding a bone stock M30 and want to prove it solid and reliable at first. After that, who knows what. It's a great option to have to keep me from tearing at the M5 which is probably better off being left just the way it is. It's nice to have a car you can toy with without much adverse affect.