PDA

View Full Version : New 100 RON Fuel

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi Bimmer Nuts

Today, down here in Down Under, Shell released a new fuel Called Optimax Extreme, which is rated at 100 RON and sells, wouldn't you know it, at a higher price. The additive is 5% ethanol made from sugar, something we have plenty of down here. Is this a potential problem for our BM toys? A list of cars that may have troubles may be found at: www.fcai.com.au

Scratch your heads about all this. It is OK? Will the ECU adjust to it? Will it damage fuel lines and seals? Will it attract water? Will it damage fuel injectors and fuel pumps?

What do all you experts out there think?

Zeuk in Oz
11-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi Bimmer Nuts

Today, down here in Down Under, Shell released a new fuel Called Optimax Extreme, which is rated at 100 RON and sells, wouldn't you know it, at a higher price. The additive is 5% ethanol made from sugar, something we have plenty of down here. Is this a potential problem for our BM toys? A list of cars that may have troubles may be found at: www.fcai.com.au

Scratch your heads about all this. It is OK? Will the ECU adjust to it? Will it damage fuel lines and seals? Will it attract water? Will it damage fuel injectors and fuel pumps?

What do all you experts out there think?

Can't see the point of using it, myself, compared to Optimax.
I only use Optimax for the injector cleaners etc that are supposedly in it !

Ken in Australia
11-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Can't see the point of using it, myself, compared to Optimax.
I only use Optimax for the injector cleaners etc that are supposedly in it !

Thanks Zeuk

I agree! I'm suspicious of these companies - it's usually about money and profits, yet they are trying to sell us the idea of "natural" benefits. Antyway, next time you fill up try the Mobil version (I forget what it's called, but it's the most expensive one) - I find that my car drives smoother with the Mobil rather than the Shell. My machine runs full on with the Shell Optimax and is too "zoomy" and almost scary. The Mobil version is smooth and progressive. Dunno - just a subjective opinion. Try it and see what you think.

mattyb
11-25-2005, 02:32 AM
shame that oil companies have been bagging ethanol for years and now here it is with everything but the popes blessing. Im always a bit sus of shell products. Do you guys remeber a few years ago when shell decided a half lead option would be good and sold it without telling anybody? Im more a caltex regular myself.

Rory535i
11-25-2005, 02:34 AM
BP Ultimate all the way!

BM-BOY
11-25-2005, 04:32 AM
I saw a test on 5th gear the other day, about these new super fuels, and some of the cars performed way better on the regular optimax... generally japanese engines are designed to run on 100ron fuel, so they run worse on regular fuel. Personally, I don't think putting the stuff in our engines is gonna do a lot, because they were designed to run on 95ron (correct me if I am wrong)...

wingman
11-25-2005, 04:53 AM
My handbook says 91RON minimum (M20 525i). I run it on 95 from Shell. Why? because I can get a 4c a litre discount voucher from Coles...I suck don't I?!?!

Please don't be too honest!!!

mattyb
11-25-2005, 07:26 AM
if i put in anything less than 95 i notice the ping and it sounds like some fuka is in my block with hammer and a chainsaw tearing it up. 95 is ok but 98 sounds sweet and better mileage. i do about 1500 ks a week and you get to knowing the differance with mileage and engine response etc. at 130km/h it makes all the differance( you didnt see that ok wingman).By the way what juice do they put in those sweet ss chasers?

mattyb
11-25-2005, 07:30 AM
hey wingman, if big kris and I come and meet u in the middle of no-where on the freeway down south can u take us for a spin in the SS?

BigKriss
11-25-2005, 10:25 AM
hey wingman, if big kris and I come and meet u in the middle of no-where on the freeway down south can u take us for a spin in the SS?
okay, I'm ready

DCR
11-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I have run the new Optimax Extreme 100 in the M5 for 2 tanks now. I am mainly interested in the fuel economy comparison as it wont really aid the motor in regards to HP production. I'll get back to you with my findings.

I normally ran plain Optimax in the M5 and run BP Ultimate in the M3. The M3 ran noticably smoother on Ultimate over Optimax. The M5 was the same running Optimax over Ultimate. Strange I know. Probably no scientific reason for this. Just one of those real life situations.

genphreak
11-25-2005, 09:02 PM
I'd stab a guess that the M5 has older Motronic, has no ability to take advantage of the higher octane.