PDA

View Full Version : Code 1222 - Lambda Control

632 Regal
11-24-2005, 07:20 PM
today after a cruise on the freeway in blistering temps (+13F) I stop and get a code 1222... Thinking deja vu of last years intake leaks, I didnt replace the front plate gasket. I reboot and get the code again within 2 minutes, thing isnt even hot enough to be using the O2 sensors.

I decided even tho its highly improbable but maybe the plastic boot cracked or something. I poke around and see one of the boots clamps...how the hell did I tighten that thing?

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Boot1.jpg

Reach around to find the screw part...found the problem.

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/boot2.jpg

Never assume anything!

Evan
11-24-2005, 07:23 PM
as they say at the guinness brewery, "brilliant!"

632 Regal
11-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Code 1221 today....sigh.

50k on spark plugs too long?

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Another reboot and off I go on my merry way, this time I do not idle anywhere, just go go go. No CEL runs real good...paranoid of getting stuck at a light as Idling seems to throw the code.

Anyways 120ish miles and NO code yet. Still dont feel comfortable with an idle situation. When I did get stuck at a light on the way back it idled smooth as silk and a notch above 500RPMs...no light.

I'm so far amazed at all the money this repair has cost.

ZERO

Just a matter of time.

bump

Jr ///M5
11-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Good for you Jeff, maybe that's all she needed was some go, go, go...and yes, I believe that it's also time to change the plugs, you'll be lucky if there's an electrode left. It might even run better....=)

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 09:02 PM
HAHAHA...I was wondering if I was dreaming this or actually posting. Whats the average time to replace these plugs? I read somewhere that 40k is the mark and another is 100k (unbelievable) none the less I figured id give the ol Bosch a testing period. Codes suck so I'll go ahead and see a new set soon. I'm sure if they are real interesting looking I'll post a few pics for everyone (what not to do).

Good for you Jeff, maybe that's all she needed was some go, go, go...and yes, I believe that it's also time to change the plugs, you'll be lucky if there's an electrode left. It might even run better....=)

MBXB
12-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Jeff,
Ever figure out if if was the plugs or somehting else?
My 540i is doing exactly the same thing. I rebooted.
I'm working my way down to the plugs, and O2 sensors, which are 2Kmiles new. I did find a small intake leak, reset the clamp, and now my puter throws a code when I get to a light at idle. Otherwise it runs great. especially in S4 or S3 mode.

Ramon

miniman_7
12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi.

Don't mean to sound dumb. But what does code 1220 mean, and where are you getting this info??????

winfred
12-04-2005, 01:57 PM
do a internet search on bmw check engine codes and you should be able to find all you wanted to know including how to get them with the gas pedal/check engine light

Hi.

Don't mean to sound dumb. But what does code 1220 mean, and where are you getting this info??????

winfred
12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
it's going to come up as that's usually the worst one for leaking after the rear plate itself

Thinking deja vu of last years intake leaks, I didnt replace the front plate gasket

632 Regal
12-04-2005, 04:09 PM
your kidding me!!

Was good for a while and got the same 1222 today...of course while idling.
I'm waiting for my new plugs incase 60k is too much before I replace the O2 sensors that only have 183k.

Think I'll order up a front gasket as the rear was like a dried rubber band Before I do anything besides the front plate gasket.

it's going to come up as that's usually the worst one for leaking after the rear plate itself