PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with stuck hood.

blue540
11-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi to everyone here,

I've been using this board for some time now to glean info about my recently aquired 540i Touring Auto. It has been most usefull.
I now have a problem that I can't solve... I can't open my hood!!
I found this thread with the search function....

Clicky Clicky (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=946&highlight=hood+latch)

....the last reponse details a way to open the hood but I cannot seem to do it.
I noticed that the response came from someone with a 1990 car, this would be the narrow grill right?
My car has the wide grill, so my question is, is the procedure the same for the wide grill cars? and could someone give me a quick description?

Many thanks guys, I hope someone can help me out, engine access is quite important.

PS. I'm in the UK, right hand drive model. The handle feels really stiff when pulled, also I can hear a sound right by where the catch is so the cable has not snapped......yet!

winfred
11-24-2005, 08:46 AM
they all have the same latch and it's in the same place from grill style to grill style over here i can't remember if it has anything in front of it on a wide grill car, if you can get at it with a flat blade screwdriver you can open it easyle without dammage through the grill (if it's the same design as the latch on us cars), it's hard to explane it's more one of those things you need to figure out, look through the grill to the inside of the high beam (latch is on the left side on us cars it's probably on right on a uk car) find the slot that the loupe on the hood slides into and you should be able to fiddle around in there with the screwdriver and it'll pop IF it's like our latch. good luck

Jay 535i
11-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Are you able to get into your car?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to open the hood the conventional way, or is there some reason you can't open it the conventional way?

Here's how it's supposed to work:

1. Pull the lever in the driver's footwell.
2. Grab the trailing edge of the hood (near the wipers) and push the hood towards the front of the car. It will slide forward and up a bit. It can sometimes take quite a shove if things are sticky under there.
3. Lift the trailing edge of the hood.

To close:

1. GENTLY lower the trailing edge of the hood so that it is just resting on the catches near the wipers.
2. Put your hand on the BMW emblem at the front of the car and push DOWN.

It's easy -- if you know how. It's not totally intuitive.

If you've tried this and I'm only telling you things you know, sorry. :(

Jr ///M5
11-24-2005, 09:29 PM
If the car has recently had the hood shocks replaced, then don't lean in too close when using the screwdriver method or you could end up with a lump on your head.

Paul in NZ
11-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Make sure that the bonnet is actually closed Stand at the front of the car and push on the roundel towards the back of the car,i m guessing you will hear a click and all will be well

Kev
11-25-2005, 04:55 AM
the hood latch is on the left(pass. side) just to the inside of the high beam on my rhd uk '93 525iT.