PDA

View Full Version : Trans-program code no panic-Not yet!

Russell
11-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Had the trans-program come on this evening. Not ready to panic yet. Let me explain.

It happened after I moved the car from the street to my garage. This is after I had to move the car out of the driveway/garage to the street twice today because of a bricklayer working on our porch steps. It ran fine earlier today on a short 5-mile round trip errand. Keep in mind that we had a low of 27 last evening and upper 30’s all day.

Now for the complications. The battery has been in the car for almost 60.000 miles since 2001. It was replaced with a dealer BMW battery when the PO got a trans-program code error in cold weather. It even had a code error when I test drove it in a cold January after setting for a week or so. I was told by the BMW and the selling dealer this is a common error and happens when a car has a bad battery or sets a long time. Hah! If I had known what I know now, I would not have bought what was a clean one-owner car with only minor problems because of the fear of the Trans-program error.

More indications of an electrical error and not transmission trouble. For some reason, my left lowbeam headlight and right bumper marker light went our last evening. Is there a relationship with the trans-program code error?

I suspect very short trips, cold weather, bulb failure and a possible weak battery can create havoc . Just my observation at this point.

Russell
11-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Doubt if it is the issue as there has been no simultaneous fialure of locking, radio, windows etc.

ryan roopnarine
11-24-2005, 07:07 PM
what is the output measurement? at obc or using a voltmeter.

632 Regal
11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
right, might not be putting out enough power at the alternator. I dont think the bulbs have anything in common with the trans error.
what is the output measurement? at obc or using a voltmeter.

Russell
11-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Starting voltage or just battery voltage not running? Also how do you tell battery voltage with the OBC?

Also, I have not checked anything yet. Too cold and turkey day family stuff.

BTW, car drove fine today with no hint of an issue.

Omega
11-25-2005, 03:43 AM
When it gets cold and damp here, my auto shows the "trans program" warning most of the time. No change to the operation of the box, it shifts as it should.

The first time it did it was on a Christmas day with the car fully loaded, ready to set off to the relatives. I scrabled around the house looking for the owners manual to see what it meant, then feeling that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I wished I hadn't found out what it meant. But in the best tradition of the British, stiff upper lip and all that, I thought "f**k it" and drove it anyway. Thankfully I had no problems what-so-ever.

According to my indi-stealer the main plug going into the gearbox can let moisture in affecting the pins. This then causes the check control system to "think" that there's an error. Either disconnect the joint and clean the pins or ignore it. In this weather I now always choose the latter.

Russell
11-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Checked with engine off, #2 position before start, and running using a non digital voltage meter. Looked like all above 12 volts. Hard to be precise cheap small meter. I think I wall ask santa for a nice digital merter :) Car runns and stars fine overnight temps under 20. Go figure.