PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Oil Change

Ken in Australia
11-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi Bimmer Nuts
I'm the Shudder in Reverse guy. I changed the oil, put in a new filter, gasket and cleaned her up. Replaced what came out with OEM oil and next day took her for a 1000 km run - with my fingers crossed! So far so good - one week later, no shudder, smoother shifts, a bit more power, less noise and generally it feels terrific. OK, it's early days but things look good - good enough for me to think that I should change it every year from now on - for $200 Aussie bucks, what's the problem.
Moral of the story: bite the bullet and change the tranny oil and don't be put off about the horror stories - BMs are supposed to have a long life - my feeling is that it's best not to shorten it by leaving crud oil in.

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 07:13 PM
The recommendation for ZF transmissions is change fluid/filter every 30k miles. I'm glad it has helped!

Alexlind123
11-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I changed my fluid last weekend, what a big difference! Shifts are smoother and faster while giving it more power and responsiveness than ever before.

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
did you flush it or just add what came out? You did change the filter...
I changed my fluid last weekend, what a big difference! Shifts are smoother and faster while giving it more power and responsiveness than ever before.

Alexlind123
11-23-2005, 09:43 PM

I changed the gasket and filter and replaced what came out with valvoline mercon3/dexron.

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Sweet! Good to go.
I changed the gasket and filter and replaced what came out with valvoline mercon3/dexron.

BigKriss
11-23-2005, 10:11 PM
what fluid did you use ken?

uscharalph
11-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi Bimmer Nuts
I'm the Shudder in Reverse guy. I changed the oil, put in a new filter, gasket and cleaned her up. Replaced what came out with OEM oil and next day took her for a 1000 km run - with my fingers crossed! So far so good - one week later, no shudder, smoother shifts, a bit more power, less noise and generally it feels terrific. OK, it's early days but things look good - good enough for me to think that I should change it every year from now on - for $200 Aussie bucks, what's the problem.
Moral of the story: bite the bullet and change the tranny oil and don't be put off about the horror stories - BMs are supposed to have a long life - my feeling is that it's best not to shorten it by leaving crud oil in.
Had mine changed today. Dropped the pan changed the filter, cleaned everything and replaced just what came out. Car is running smooth. I also had the differential fluid changed today too. Both were long overdue, but they're done now. Final fluids to flush are the power steering and brake fluid.

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 12:41 AM

Thanks Regal
Changed what came out - with new filter and pan gasket - cleaned the crub out of the pan and cleaned the magnets. Go for it - hope you have the same luck as I had.

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 12:45 AM

Love all your posts Kriss - read them every time

Shell, as recommended in the back of the maual manual - gonna do it every year.

Good luck - was up in Sydney last week - I love it but our restaurtants in Melbourne are way better - and cheaper!

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Had mine changed today. Dropped the pan changed the filter, cleaned everything and replaced just what came out. Car is running smooth. I also had the differential fluid changed today too. Both were long overdue, but they're done now. Final fluids to flush are the power steering and brake fluid.

Way to go!
Next week I'm doing the same for in readiness for our long hot Summer. Synthetic diff oil, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid and power steering and any thing else I find that needs doing - Hell, it's a machine and it can't do it on its own!. Hang the expense, I just want it to run as it should. I even change the coolant with the blue OEM and distilled water every year. It's a great car and I want it to be absolutely reliable, as I am so dependant on it. Anyway, what's wrong with keeping everything fresh and tip top?

BigKriss
11-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Love all your posts Kriss - read them every time

Shell, as recommended in the back of the maual manual - gonna do it every year.

Good luck - was up in Sydney last week - I love it but our restaurtants in Melbourne are way better - and cheaper! I thought Castrol Transmax Z was the best fluid for the gearbox, thats all. Did you change the fluid yourself ken, or do you get a shop to do it?

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 01:15 AM
I thought Castrol Transmax Z was the best fluid for the gearbox, thats all. Did you change the fluid yourself ken, or do you get a shop to do it?

Thanks Kriss

did it myself - no big deal, just a bit messy - followed the procedure on this Bimmer site. Next time I might try the Castrol?

pundit
11-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi Bimmer Nuts
Er what model E34 are you driving???
It's a good idea to put your vehicle details in your profile then everyone else will know what you talking about! ;)

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Sorry Kriss

I thought that it was Shell synthetic, because that's what the guy at the Dealer's counter said. On checking the actual container, the fine print just says "Made in Germany" and does not specify the actual brand - so, you may be right, it could be Castrol Transmax. The Owner's Manual is not specific either - it just says "Lifetime Fluid". I just went for the OEM recommendation - all is fine anyway.

Ken in Australia
11-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Er what model E34 are you driving???
It's a good idea to put your vehicle details in your profile then everyone else will know what you talking about! ;)

Sorry Pundit

Don't know how to do the profile yet - have to nut it out somehow. It's a 1993 540i V8 auto with 175,000 kms on the clock - all standard equipment - gray graphite with fake Throwing Star wheels. Great condition and performance.

uscharalph
11-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Sorry Pundit

Don't know how to do the profile yet - have to nut it out somehow. It's a 1993 540i V8 auto with 175,000 kms on the clock - all standard equipment - gray graphite with fake Throwing Star wheels. Great condition and performance.
Hit the UserCP link at the top part of the page.