PDA

View Full Version : New, with some questions

borderchris
11-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello all... my first post, and I'd like to say what a great group here. I'm on my 3rd Bimmer, this one an older but very pristine 1989 535i. Gorgeous car, new tranny and ice-cold air, so I got fairly lucky for what I paid.

Question 1, guys. It runs pretty well (bit of valve tappet), but is a hard starter (consistent, good starts, but 2 to 3 seconds of starter). I replaced the plugs, fuel filter and checked my connections. Any clues?

Question 2. The starter is very metallic and clangy- do I need a newer starter for quieter starts?

Thanks

Chris

Alexlind123
11-23-2005, 04:05 PM
"(consistent, good starts, but 2 to 3 seconds of starter)." That is EXACTLY what my car does. I think all bix sixes have "valve tappet" but mine its a bit more than a bit, which is why i am thinking of tackling valve adjustment as my next project.

Kalevera
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
#1 is almost certainly a fuel delivery issue. Fuel filter may be clogged (or installed backwards -- arrow points forwards), an injector or line may be leaking, the fuel pump could be going south. The check valve in the sender may be faulty (read bruno's site for substitution info).

#2 they have some inherent noise, both in starting and operating. If you haven't owned one before, the M30 only makes good music on higher rpms. Unless there's something physically wrong (jackass misinstalled the transmission) that's getting worse, I wouldn't be concerned.

best, whit

borderchris
11-24-2005, 12:32 PM
thanks guys. btw, is everybody's starter kind of clangy and metallic?

Chris

Paul in NZ
11-25-2005, 04:08 AM
i dont know about two to three seconds but mine always cranks for a bit before it starts.I think its normal.