PDA

View Full Version : Any Recommendations for RADIATORS!? I've got a leak =(

zuzuk212
11-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm not even going to get into the age old question of why they had to make the freakin radiator with plastic ends!

Mine is leaking at that junction ... somewhere. It's not hoses nor the pipes.

So, who recommends what?
I'm leery about by a used one from ebay ... actually, I don't want to even think about that headache ... so forget used.

New:
-Behr?
-Nissens?
-Dealer? =P

I read that shogun believes Behr to be better than Nissen - any thoughts?

Are there any others ... ?

Thanks,
Ken

shogun
11-23-2005, 01:37 PM
See the difference between Behr and Nissens
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/radiator/RadiatorReplacement.htm

bfd
11-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Being that only plastic radiators are available, Behr or Nissen, forget the used one. A new one should be *under* $250. Supposedly OEM is Behr, which is a bit more than Nissen.

Unfortunately, there must not be enough demand for E34 radiators as nobody makes an alloy one. The only maker I know of is Zionsville Autosports, they make them for E30, E36, E38 and E39. At $450-500+, its not cheap, but at least you wouldn't need to replace every 60,000+ miles.....

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Nice details about the differences there...he has as many radiators as you do bimmers!
See the difference between Behr and Nissens
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/radiator/RadiatorReplacement.htm

zuzuk212
11-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks shogun!

But, is the only difference with the trans line? I have a 5spd, so the beafed up trans plug won't help me. Other than than the trans line, is it just better over all?

Ken

zuzuk212
11-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Well ... I went with the Behr from BMA ... so I can get it on it's way ... I can't wait until next week. It figures that this would happy right before the holidays. BMA told me that they sold 3 others today ... crazy with timing, huh?

Oh, I got a response from Zionsville, they said that they are considering making one ... but who know when and it's not soon enough for me. By the time they get to it, we will all have already replaced our rads.

Anywho, Happy Holidays!
Ken

Don McAdams
11-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Put on a set of new rotors & pads yesterday, popped the hood to check fluid levels, etc...... Saw a trail of trickling coolant coming from the radiator around the lower right corner where the expansion tank is mounted- sure enough a small hairline crack :( Is this a common failure point on these good old plastic' radiators?

This radiator was replaced in '00 (OEM BMW parts) so I at least got 5 years out of it. I am counting my blessings because the day before I put 300 miles on the car w/ my 2 boys! Thank GOD I did not break down out on the road w/ them w/ me! I ordered another radiator, expansion tank- cap, seals, etc. to replace over the long weekend. The water pump, t-stat & all coolant hoses were replaced last year, so I will be good with those-

Drained the coolant on the block for the first time! Holy Schnikes- talk about a bath!

Kalevera
11-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Ken, you might have wanted to consider using the 540/740 radiator instead. Slightly bigger, no internal trans cooler, "better" design -- to account for the V8s higher operating temperatures (ha ha - I'm not actually certain of the latter, but you never know).

My current rad was removed from a 740. It required a bit of modification because of the way I installed it. Only caveat is that the fan shroud won't fit. No biggie.

Don: the expansion tank can be replaced separately from the radiator, if it's what's leaking. Replace the seal on the coolant level sensor while you're in there.

Zionsville won't be making the aluminum tanked radiator for the same reason that Rob Levinson doesn't offer more E34-centric products: most current owners don't have the kind of money to spend on what would invariably be an expensive part. Consider the costs of R&D versus how many you expect to sell...it doesn't result in a profit. Brett has been lobbying Zionsville to sell aluminum E34 rads for a few months (maybe due to my interest in finding one, I don't know)....

best, whit

uscharalph
11-24-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm not even going to get into the age old question of why they had to make the freakin radiator with plastic ends!

Mine is leaking at that junction ... somewhere. It's not hoses nor the pipes.

So, who recommends what?
I'm leery about by a used one from ebay ... actually, I don't want to even think about that headache ... so forget used.

New:
-Behr?
-Nissens?
-Dealer? =P

I read that shogun believes Behr to be better than Nissen - any thoughts?

Are there any others ... ?

Thanks,
Ken
I put a new Nissens in my 525i back in July, 8,000 miles ago. No problems so far.

bfd
11-24-2005, 02:25 AM
Zionsville won't be making the aluminum tanked radiator for the same reason that Rob Levinson doesn't offer more E34-centric products: most current owners don't have the kind of money to spend on what would invariably be an expensive part. Consider the costs of R&D versus how many you expect to sell...it doesn't result in a profit. Brett has been lobbying Zionsville to sell aluminum E34 rads for a few months (maybe due to my interest in finding one, I don't know)....

best, whit

This pretty much sums it up. I don't think it so much that most E34 owners don't have much money to spend on "expensive" parts, the question is whether its worth it.

Most E34 owners are not going to spend alot of money on these cars. Let's face it, unlike an E30/36, most people wouldn't bother to track an E34 - too heavy and slow.

Further, these cars are getting to the point that people are going to start unloading them. Most if not all of you have at least 100K miles or more on your car. Now is about the time when things start breaking down. Are you really going to spend $500-800 for an aftermarket alloy radiator?

Moreover, new cars are faster and more fuel efficient than our cars. Many people are saying enough and will trade in or sell out these cars.

Be glad parts are available, just don't expect the high-end *performance* parts that the 3 series get.....

Alexlind123
11-24-2005, 02:34 AM
This pretty much sums it up. I don't think it so much that most E34 owners don't have much money to spend on "expensive" parts, the question is whether its worth it.

Most E34 owners are not going to spend alot of money on these cars. Let's face it, unlike an E30/36, most people wouldn't bother to track an E34 - too heavy and slow.

Further, these cars are getting to the point that people are going to start unloading them. Most if not all of you have at least 100K miles or more on your car. Now is about the time when things start breaking down. Are you really going to spend $500-800 for an aftermarket alloy radiator?

Moreover, new cars are faster and more fuel efficient than our cars. Many people are saying enough and will trade in or sell out these cars.

Be glad parts are available, just don't expect the high-end *performance* parts that the 3 series get.....

Saying that "new cars are faster and more fuel efficient than our cars" is a bit of a generalization. First of all, i would be willing to bet that "our cars" are faster than at least 50% of the total cars sold each day in the U.S. Secondly, "our cars" offer a level of luxury and performance only just now beginning to start working its way into mainstream cars. Also, you dont have to "track" a car to make it worthwhile to pay attention to the quality of the parts you are putting into your car.

zuzuk212
11-28-2005, 09:39 AM
:( oh well, too late. I already placed the order and had left for the weekend. I'll save the info for next time. What years from the 540 or 740 will work? I ordered for a 5spd ... it shouldn't have a trans cooler, right?

Oh man ... this monday is draggin' =P
Thanks whit,
Ken

Kalevera
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Surely.

Any E34 540 or E32 740 radiator will do the trick. Same part number. E38 and E39 US cars have a different setup and probably wouldn't work. Winfred ran the 540 unit in his 535 -- I got the idea from him. I had to do a bit of modification to mine (a Behr), perhaps because of the way my trans cooler is setup.

And actually, I wasn't thinking correctly on this earlier...since you've got an M50 (for some reason, I thought you had a 535), it won't work without doing some heavier modification. The expansion tank isn't built into the side of the radiator on the 540/740.

No US E34 M50 radiator has a built in trans cooler. Automatics use external coolers, and the 220 5 speed doesn't need one.

best, whit