PDA

View Full Version : Door Seals

Rory535i
11-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Is there any way of taking the seals off the door without destroying them? I'm talking about the ones that are inconveniently stuck to the door! I was thinking maybe heating them up with a hot air gun to soften the glue? Any tips?

Kalevera
11-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Rory:

Both the door and chassis side seals will pull right off, sometimes with a bit of gentle manipulation -- there should be no glue; if there is, somebody screwed it up.

best, whit

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 09:29 PM
them wheels look hot!!!

Rory535i
11-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Rory:

Both the door and chassis side seals will pull right off, sometimes with a bit of gentle manipulation -- there should be no glue; if there is, somebody screwed it up.

best, whit

thanks Whit, i tried pulling it off gently and it started to tear the seal. it's the one that runs the whole way round the door itself past the lock etc. underneath it i can see a white coloured adhesion strip. is this normal?

Rory535i
11-24-2005, 02:48 AM
them wheels look hot!!!

:D

shogun
11-24-2005, 04:55 AM
Rory,
"Whit, i tried pulling it off gently and it started to tear the seal."

They are dead. I know it from my parts cars. Just try to replace them. If you always treat the rubber with the BMW Gummipflege and the previous owner has done it carefully, then o.k.
my own 750 main driver is almost 18 years old now, no problem except in one small corner with the door rubbers. But that also depends on where you live (climate/temperature change/in sunlight parking always or sometimes etc),
but the above statement tells me:
Buy new ones. Sorry

moots
11-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Rory:

best, whit

the chasis side is straight fwd.it can be pulled right off.the door side has two rubber seals.the inner one uses very strong white colored double sided tape,which when removed,will not re-stick.however,i have seen cars,especially after going thru a paintjob,with these seals re-glued.