PDA

View Full Version : Dual mass acting up?

pyro
11-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Hey just got my new 1992 525im yesterday and had no problems with this noise. Me never driving a stick before now learning on this car/ driving it HARD because its first manual trans might have been very hard on the flywheel with 166000 miles on it (don't think it was replaced). I did the search for the dual mass flywheel and did the little test where turning car off w/ clutch not pushed down, and clutch pushed down. And there is a noise when its not pushed in. My question is can it make that same noise when the engine is lugging a little or driving really slow in a gear and taping the gas and letting off. I hear a similar noise when doing all above and am wondering if its the dual mass flywheel or something else (maybe the car is saying stop driving hard :p )

And now about converting to the e28 flywheel. so i need that and the pressure plate and clutch from the e28 and thats it? Then whats this about its bad for the transmiton and drivetraine? Is it really bad for the car or no? And i have to switch the trans to gear oil instead of atf?

Sorry for all of the questions. Im a newbe at manual transmitons. My dad is telling me not to worry about it and that manual transmitions make more "weard" noises than auto's.

Paul in NZ
11-23-2005, 02:45 AM
at low revs manual transissions do make rattly noises ...dont do it. Use the clutch so that the transitions to power /no power are made smoothly with as little trauma to the driveline as possible.as sonnas you feel any roughness in the driveline its time to change down or push in the clutch(if you are already in first).In slow traffic dont try to drive slower than idle in first by slipping the clutch for long periods,but go at idle in first for a bit then stop then idle in first.....

pyro
12-13-2005, 02:17 PM
so what do i need to do other than get a e28 flywheel, and clutch kit for e28? somewhere while searching i read you have to put gear oil into it isnted of atf. Im going to go to a junkyard and get one so what should i look for? Do they really go bad ever?

632 Regal
12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Ohh boy...

somewhere while searching i read you have to put gear oil into it isnted of atf.

Bellicose Right Winger
12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
The E28 flywheel conversion is used on M30 engines. I haven't heard of anyone using one on an M50 engine.

Since your rattle occurs when clutch is not depressed makes me think this is transmission noise. Gear rattle is common when shutting off engine with clutch pedal released. The noise goes away with pedal depressed because input shaft, cluster gear and other internal trans parts are no longer spinning. Get in habit of shutting off engine w/ pedal depressed.

Paul Shovestul

so what do i need to do other than get a e28 flywheel, and clutch kit for e28? somewhere while searching i read you have to put gear oil into it isnted of atf. Im going to go to a junkyard and get one so what should i look for? Do they really go bad ever?

pyro
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok... I'm getting to that time where my clutch is ALMOST dead (or so i think)... So what places can i look to see if the e28 flywheel will work on the m50? Does anyone know? I actully did search before asking but have came up with no results. Thanks in advance for any help

-pyro

632 Regal
01-04-2006, 06:41 PM
your an exception to the search rule as the other regulars...lol

I havent heard of anyone doing this swap so you might be in unknown terretory.

Ok... I'm getting to that time where my clutch is ALMOST dead (or so i think)... So what places can i look to see if the e28 flywheel will work on the m50? Does anyone know? I actully did search before asking but have came up with no results. Thanks in advance for any help

-pyro

pyro
01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
correct me if im wrong but isn't the m50's manual tranny the same as the m30's Mabe i should check part numbers from m50 duel mass flywheel and m30 duel mass flywheel. if they are the same it should work right? i have no problem going out and trying it i just don't wnata do it if its a guaranteed not work you know

pyro
01-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Ok so heres what i got so far:

For my 525im 6/92 partnumers are as folows

01 FLYWHEEL 1 09/1990 11221726833 $348.19
01 TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL D=228MM 1 09/1990 21211223593 $859.32
01 TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL D=228MM 1 21211223593 $859.32

I don't understand why theres two of the twin mass flywheels.

Then heres a 6/92 535im

01 FLYWHEEL D=240 X 33 1 06/1988 11221706577 $507.78
01 TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL 1 06/1988 21211223010 $1,679.58

since they are different partnumbers and one is WAY more expensive i think the m30's flywheel is alot bigger or more has more beef. Does anyone know anything elts?

Kalevera
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
The M50 will have a Getrag 220/5; a mid or late M30 will have a Getrag 260 or 265. The clutch and clutch requirements (ie - clamping force of the pressure plate) are different.

If I were you, I'd be looking at an earlier E30 325 flywheel. Again, no guarantee that it'll fit, but I can't think of any reason why the clutch kit wouldn't work.

If you've not done a clutch job before: replace everything. Pilot bearing, that stupid plastic nub that acts as a pivot point for the fork lever (I know, it seems silly, but I've redone customer clutch jobs because they didn't replace that part, and it costs like 4 cents), and obviously the throwout bearing/pressure plate/friction disk itself.

Also, on the M20/M40/M50/variants, be sure to disconnect the battery when removing the trans. It's really easy to fry the starter solenoid.

best, whit

pyro
01-04-2006, 09:30 PM
is the transmition on a e30 the same or verry similar to the one on the m50? if so i don't see a problem w/ the clutch kit working. Do you know where i can look or what to do to find out if it will work or not? Kinda wanta figure it out before i repplace my clutch which is going to die soon... If none of these work is there a aftermarket non duel mass flywheel anyone would subjest?

Kalevera
01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Did some more thinking about this...not sure what was going through my head earlier on the E30 flywheel bit, unless I was really thinking E36, which makes more sense/there are lots of E36 M50 products around.

No, it's a completely different trans -- Getrag 260 on the E30 versus a 220. The 220 was a weak replacement for the "adequate" 260. They have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. As far as bellhousing depth and the like -- I don't know the specifics, but the slave cylinders are different. So, you might have to replace the slave cylinder while in there. The other concern is whether the friction disk will fit on the input shaft, because the shafts are somewhat trans specific. So I'd be really surprised if an E30 flywheel could be made to work...

best, whit

pyro
01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
all flywheels for e36 are 599$ and up... bah i should just weld my duel mass together and then turn it to lightn it. JUST KIDDING

pyro
01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Ok since i cant afford a new duel mass flywheel is there any harm in not changeing it when i do the clutch? i would really like to swap it out but cant afford the "preformance" flywheels. Also i read that someone ground mettle off of the back of the e28 flywheel is it possible that i can take some mettle off of the duel mass one to save a little weight? (we have a brake and flywheel leathe at work) so just wondering what you guys thing.

EDIT:
My only fear is is falling into 2 pieces and have to do the job all over agian...

Cressidom
09-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I am too looking for a replacement for the M50 520i DM Flywheel...
Anyone have any more tips, please forward them ...

Thanks
Dom