PDA

View Full Version : Question about fan blower (search didn't come up with answers)

romus
11-22-2005, 09:46 PM
..none that helpled me anyway.

When i first bought the car the fan was working fine. I have the dual climate control. Every stage/strenght of the fan was functional. Then it stopped working except when turned to the maxiumum. Since then it would surprise me by actually blowing at levels other than max, but that were rare times. Its either 0 or 100%.

Anyone know where to start? It's not a major problem but i'd like to get it fixed. Thanks everyone

winfred
11-22-2005, 09:59 PM
the power stage aka sword may be crapping out or a bad connection at the sword, it's possible that the relay inside of the sword can be resoldered (in black plastic housing at end) it's accessed by the glovebox behind the carpet cover that's held on with one + screw

romus
11-23-2005, 01:49 AM
thanks! :)

BobHarris
11-25-2005, 02:45 PM
If the car is RHD I think the sword is accessed from the pedal side.

HTH

All the best

Bob

fsteyer
12-28-2005, 06:37 AM
I have the ame problem. Where can I find out how ti get to the sword?
Thanks .... '95 525 touring

olsan100
12-28-2005, 06:54 AM

You have a resistor pack. It's located above the gas pedal and little to the right. Just get a new one and replace it.

fsteyer
12-28-2005, 07:05 AM
awesome .. thanks a lot !!!!!!!!:D

misfortune
12-28-2005, 07:29 AM
the power stage aka sword may be crapping out or a bad connection at the sword, it's possible that the relay inside of the sword can be resoldered (in black plastic housing at end) it's accessed by the glovebox behind the carpet cover that's held on with one + screw

Do I have to take out the glovebox or is it just a matter of pulling back some carpet?

Javier
12-28-2005, 11:55 AM
also lead you to removing the sword that is on the way. Its a 7, but almost the same.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/54597

Javier

angrypancake
12-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Hooray for the 1000th post. I think I'm becoming a post whore in training. Who wants an apprentice? Jeff....?

dacoyote
12-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Hooray for the 1000th post. I think I'm becoming a post whore in training. Who wants an apprentice? Jeff....?

I am Jeff's Apprentice... you can be mine

pundit
12-28-2005, 02:00 PM
..none that helpled me anyway.

When i first bought the car the fan was working fine. I have the dual climate control. Every stage/strenght of the fan was functional. Then it stopped working except when turned to the maxiumum. Since then it would surprise me by actually blowing at levels other than max, but that were rare times. Its either 0 or 100%.

Anyone know where to start? It's not a major problem but i'd like to get it fixed. Thanks everyone
If your car is an '89 model, you'll have a 'sword' module. A fairly common problem that occurs is the failure of several mosfet transistors mounted on the 'sword' itself.
However, because the variable speed control is working intermittantly the problem won't be caused by failed mosfet transistors. If they had failed the varispeed function wouldn't work at all. As Winfred said it could be a faulty relay. Another possiblity is fractured solder joints where the connector meets the printed circuit board.

Anyway mine had exactly the same symptoms as yours and this is how I tracked down the cause and fixed it.

Sword Module Repair (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/91956)

Shogun reposted my original thread on another forum.
I can't seem to find the original thread I posted on bimmer.info?

Good Luck! ;)

tdgard
12-28-2005, 09:42 PM

When you see the difference in price you will be VERY happy.