PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Brake Guide Bolt!!!

traian_bmw5
11-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Aaaaaah! The guide bolts on my front caliper are stripped (they are the ones with the big allen head - believe it is 6mm) and I need to change my brake pads. What do I do? They are way down inside that rubber boot at the back of the caliper, I can't even see them, I only know my allen key turns without the bolt. I would loooove any tips :)

Derek A.
11-22-2005, 09:31 PM
You can unbolt the caliper bracket and undo the caliper hose to get the assembly off the car. They just thread into the caliper bracket. Usually they don;t seize up - you might be able to vise grip or grind some flat surfaces to grab.

632 Regal
11-23-2005, 01:34 AM
I stripped the thread on one of them suckers, not an easy tap to find either. I usually unbolt the assembly and work from there. Dereks right, your gonna have to take the thing off to work on it.

Traian
11-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks a lot, I will try that and let you know.

BobHarris
11-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Try a suitably sized torx bit. Knock it into the hex with a hammer.

HTH

All the best

Bob

Holland
11-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Aaaaaah! The guide bolts on my front caliper are stripped (they are the ones with the big allen head - believe it is 6mm) and I need to change my brake pads. What do I do? They are way down inside that rubber boot at the back of the caliper, I can't even see them, I only know my allen key turns without the bolt. I would loooove any tips :)
Is'nt this a 7 mm allen head. Changed pads and rotors on my e34 525i a few weeks ago. I had more trouble getting the 19 mm brake pad carrier mounting bolts lose. On the driver site off the car I finally used a 1 meter pipe to extend my wrench.

Patience and quality tools will do half the job....

Traian
01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Is'nt this a 7 mm allen head.

Genius, true genius, thanks mate! I think I deserve an award for posting this topic also, but I won't mention which one...

Kalevera
01-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Genius, true genius, thanks mate! I think I deserve an award for posting this topic also, but I won't mention which one...
Somebody tried to get it off with a 6/6.5 (I don't think I have one of the latter -- surely they make one, though) or whatever the equivalent is in US? :D

Jon K
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Is'nt this a 7 mm allen head. Changed pads and rotors on my e34 525i a few weeks ago. I had more trouble getting the 19 mm brake pad carrier mounting bolts lose. On the driver site off the car I finally used a 1 meter pipe to extend my wrench.

Patience and quality tools will do half the job....

Lol yeah i was gonna say the reason he stripped it was because its a 7 mm

angrypancake
01-16-2006, 11:10 PM
I stripped mine when I was doing my rear brakes, not sure if the 535 is a differing mm, however I went to sears and got one of those broken screw removers and it came out in 5 minutes.