PDA

View Full Version : OEM stereo and 'shorting' left-front channel

TimGinCentralNJ
03-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey gang-

Been having a long-standing issue with all 3 left-front speakers cutting out on me, and I'm having a tough time tracking it down. Total OEM system. Vibration like slamming the driver's door, driving over small bumps seems to short it out, as does gently tapping the far-left dash right over the headlamp switch. Making a sharp right turn seems to bring temporarily make the connection again. At this point, I'm thinkin' it's gotta be a bare wire somewhere, except that powering-off/powering-on the stereo usually brings it back to life again, too (why would this work if it's a shorted wire??).

Anyway, I've pulled/tested/cleaned all 3 left-front speakers and their contacts, which hasn't made any difference. Not sure if I should pull the receiver to look for shorted wires there, or whether I should pull the instrument cluster (which again is the general vicinity where light vibration/impact seems to cause the short) and look back there.

Anyone have any thoughts at all?

TIA,
Tim G.
'91 535iM

ps: And of anyone's looking for someone to blame for the chance of snow in the NE tonite....it's my fault. I took off the studs today and put the summer treads back on. Of course, what else would happen?