PDA

View Full Version : 518i 1992 Instrument cluster problems

mutedropper
11-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I have recently picked up a J reg 518i (E34! I think, but if I'm way off the mark I apologise as I'm new to all this), however everything has been going fine with car until today when all the instrument gauges (fuel, speedo, rev counter, temperature, mileometer and trip) just died on me. I've changed the battery as suggested on another website but this has done nothing. All fuses have been checked and are ok, and all lights on the dash board are still working ie, indicators, hand brake, headlights etc.

Can anyone suggest remedies or causes of the problems.

many thanks

Richard

BobHarris
11-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Bumpety!!!

It Might be an idea to fill in your profile.

I assume from your terminology and the fact that the car is J reg that you are in the UK.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your problem but I'm sure someone will chime in at some point with some useful info.

Unfortunately the majority of the knowlegeable board members are in the US and the 518 never got there.

All the best

Bob

wingman
11-25-2005, 05:15 AM
Almost bound to be an E34. From memory they didn't make an E28 with the 1800cc motor. Have a look at some of the attached signature photos on this site to work out whether your car is similar. For instrument cluster problems there is some great info on www.bmwe34.net. Mostly early cars (like mine!) are struck with cluster problems. Yours should be alright. we didn't get the 518i in Oz either. What does it go like? Anything that OZ or US drivers are able to compare it with? Good Luck with your dash.

Interceptor
11-25-2005, 07:56 AM
we didn't get the 518i in Oz either. What does it go like? Anything that OZ or US drivers are able to compare it with?Disconnect the spark plug wires of the 1st and the 6th cylinder. That should be approximately it.

shogun
11-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Richard,
which battery did you change?
In the cluster?
Then it might be an older model like the E28 which as far as I know has still the battery in the cluster.

Maybe you give us the VIN =vehicle identification number or also called chassis number, then we can find out.

From Unixnerd.uk:

E34s in europe had a very wide choice of engines over their production run. The most popular in the UK was probably the 520i although the 518i was the choice of the company car driver stretching his budget. ABS may not have been standard on very early UK cars but I've never seen one without it.

Early 518i's had the M40 but it was replaced by the lower maintenance M43 in 1993ish.

The E34 520i/525i started life with the M20 12 valve engine. Around 1991 the marvellous M50 24 valve 2.0 and 2.5 litre engines replaced the M20, these need less mantenance and have more power. In mid-93 the M50TU was introduced with VANOS variable valve timing for better mid range power.

The M5 started as a 3.6 but was later upgraded to a 3.8 gaining distributorless ignition and better brakes in the process.
----------------------------