PDA

View Full Version : Contorl Arm Thru-bolts - are new self locking nuts essential?

RobPatt
11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I neglected to order them separate from the arms.
Used the old ones, torqued to 57lb under load, put on locktite since I reused them.... is this OK? Pls advise, thanks. -Rob.

gale
11-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Nylon locknuts are usually good for a 2nd usage without a problem, just give them an extra 5 ft-lb torque over spec. Loctite is always good, use the 242 medium strength if you want to take it apart in the futuer without putting a torch to it.

Bellicose Right Winger
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
I've reused them without any problems on the (3) vehicles still in the fleet. They weren't nylock style on my cars......the nuts just had a deformed thread.

Paul Shovestul

Used the old ones, torqued to 57lb under load, put on locktite since I reused them.... is this OK? Pls advise, thanks. -Rob.

RobPatt
11-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks. Used the "medium blue" locktite, and it's only the 2nd time for the nuts - first was factory install. Oddly enough I had the aluminium lower arms, what a huge difference in weight between them and the new steel ones. Wow. Alright, good to go then. Thanks again.

Larry Looney
11-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Why did you change the lower control arms? Did you have a shimmy?

uscharalph
11-27-2005, 02:13 AM
I just received my Lemforder lower control arms from BMA and I also forgot to the self locking nuts. They really should sell them together.

632 Regal
11-27-2005, 02:21 AM
you guys have to take it all apart and get new locking nuts.

ha ha

I didnt.

uscharalph
11-27-2005, 03:03 AM
you guys have to take it all apart and get new locking nuts.

ha ha

I didnt.
Why didn't you have to?

pyro
11-27-2005, 03:30 AM
i was going to ask same thing... i put my suspention back together but with a impact wrench... i think thats enough torque

uscharalph
11-27-2005, 03:49 AM
i was going to ask same thing... i put my suspention back together but with a impact wrench... i think thats enough torque
You don't use a torque wrench?

Kalevera
11-27-2005, 04:02 AM
New nuts aren't really necessary, but if there's a ball joint involved, you'll be glad you have them. In fact, every time I've reused a nut on a ball joint, it hasn't gone on -- new ones are necessary.

In this particular case, BMW is covering liability on assuring that some sort of threadlocker is used, as Don noted.

Another case in point: flywheel/friction surface bolts on all cars. TIS calls for them to be replaced when removed. All that's needed is 242.

Don't worry about pulling everything apart if it's already together and tight. It's not *really* necessary in this application, and you'll know if a nut gets loose (ride height will go whacky, maybe even some shimmy), hopefully before anything bad happens.

I don't think it's a smart idea to use an impact when assembling this stuff without an extremely good feel for the tool and the conditions under which it's operating. There are too many variables, either having the potential to kill someone (loose bolts) or adding time/cost to the job (something snaps or breaks, necessitating extraction or replacement), versus using hand tools.

best, whit

pyro
11-27-2005, 03:19 PM
You don't use a torque wrench?
no but im going to i was just wondering if a impact wrench was enough

Edit:
if i overtorque a bolt w/ impact wrench but didn't strip it, is that bad?

RobPatt
11-27-2005, 06:53 PM
As someone asked on the first page, I did have a shimmy (DID) and had already balanced wheels and replaced thrust arms. My rotors are a bit warped I think, but they're only 30K miles old, whereas my lower control arms are 140K miles old, so time to replace them anyway. I only ever use the impact gun to loosen, and then if I can't crack it by trying to tighten a wee bit... but always do the final tightening w/the torque wrench. Thing is it's not my wrench and I really don't know how accurate it is - but figure hopefully it's within 10% if it's off at all... And I'm not referring to the ball joint nuts, I'm referring to the ones that bolt the arm to the frame of the car. Did use blue locktite on them and torque to spec. Next time it's in the air I'll put an extra 5lbs on it since not using new nuts.

Cheers, hope everyone had a good holiday. -rob