PDA

View Full Version : Differential Oil Socket Type? '93 525ia (not lsd)

RobPatt
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Can't get the 90 degree hex key in there and no space for a standard socket/rachet... what's the secret? Exactly what size is the recessed hex key/socket hole? Thanks. -Rob.

632 Regal
11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
use a wrench on a cut off chunk of the hex? Not sure of the size.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Can't get the 90 degree hex key in there and no space for a standard socket/rachet... what's the secret? Exactly what size is the recessed hex key/socket hole? Thanks. -Rob.

Mine takes a 10MM hex and I was able to use a normal "L" shaped wrench. As it was wicked tight, I used a length of black pipe and gave it a tug - no problems.

It goes without saying that you should be sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain ane letting the oil out... :)

zuzuk212
11-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Goto autozone ... they actually have a hex bit set, of three I believe ... knock the bit out of the socket and then slip a box wrench over it and you can take off both the fill and drain plugs. ALWAYS, take the fill plug off FIRST ... other wise, if you drop the oil and then can't get the fill plug off ... well, that would suck. I don't have the part number for the bits but they weren't too much and if you need it for something else, where you can actually fit the socket and wrench on ... all you have to do is give it a whack with the hammer and it's back in the socket like before. Works nicely.

Ken

RobPatt
11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
...will check out autozone I guess. thanks. -Rob.

ryan roopnarine
11-21-2005, 11:11 PM
my 4.10 LSD on my 92 525i takes a 14mm allen key. had to get a specialty tool shop to order me one, then pay a machine shop $5 to cut it down for me (don't have cutting stuff here). i have a stub cut off from it, as Dan D.......has my cut down allen key. i use a 9/16 inch box end on the stub and it works fine. if your car has had regular inspection IIs, your plug might be loose enough that you could insert a hex head bolt in there and use vice grips to open it. measure the head size before you go and get a tool, will save you a bunch of trouble.

zuzuk212
11-22-2005, 09:15 PM
25417 made by OEM at autozone. Comes with 12, 14, 17 mm bits. I don't remember how much but it wasn't too bad.

Ken