PDA

View Full Version : 635Csi intake manifold

grave77
11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I saw a full manifold unit of the old 635Csi car, I have heared before that they allow more air in as they are wider than the new M30 engine.

any more information from you mates ?!

Bill R.
11-21-2005, 09:43 AM
are bigger to allow more flow since it has bigger intake valves as well in the newer motor.

I saw a full manifold unit of the old 635Csi car, I have heared before that they allow more air in as they are wider than the new M30 engine.

grave77
11-21-2005, 11:44 AM
so 635i intake monifold and valve is smaller?! ..does that apply the old 745i manifold too?

DaCan23
11-21-2005, 03:13 PM
For the most part, the 3.5L M30 was the same for all 635s. From 1978-81 did have a slightly larger bore 93.4 vs 92 for all other years and from 82-86 it had a 10-1 compression w/ DME II. The only real difference was the DME, L-Jet 1978-79, DME I 1980-81. From 1987 on it was DME III with a 9.2-1 compression, which is the same for the E34 89-91 right?

632 Regal
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
bigger intake passages result in lower torque at lower rpms and for the most part will posibly de-tune the whole intake system and make your car slower.

grave77
11-22-2005, 04:54 AM
well I think the 9.2:1 is the old M30 compression. E34 M30 has something like 12:1 I think .... maybe some guys will correct me.

grave77
11-22-2005, 04:56 AM
I never knew that Jeff, but why then many people try to enhance the flow from the passages ( Intakes, air filters, bigger throttle butterfly ..etc ) and after all it gets slower takeoff?! I thought this would make the engine gain better compression

Interceptor
11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
I never knew that Jeff, but why then many people try to enhance the flow from the passages ( Intakes, air filters, bigger throttle butterfly ..etc ) and after all it gets slower takeoff?! I thought this would make the engine gain better compressionYou cannot change the compression ratio by simply replacing your intake manifold. Unless you turbo/supercharge your car, you won't gain much by tampering with the intake manifold - and as Jeff said, you'll end up with a detuned car that will be slower.

grave77
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
so that ends up the intakes issue.

Does a camshaft change the compression ratio? for example stage II camshaft. also do I need new rockers and springs or will the OEM work with it?

632 Regal
11-22-2005, 01:22 PM
k....what a cam does is change the dynamic compression at a different time compared to the stock cam...not static compression. You could in theory change to a larger lift cam with the same timing and get higher static compression at a slightly higher RPM range. If you went with a larger lift cam with more duration it would make more power at a higher RPM but you will sacrifice lower RPM power. This kind of discussion could go on forever. What you want to do is the most important aspect than just sticking in a bigger bumpstick. Usually if you go with a higher lift and duration cam it will tend to run better at higher ropms, so if thats whats going to happen the rest of the package will have to be tuned for that modification such as higher compression, larger valves, free flowing exhaust, stronger valve springs that wont bottom out from higher lift etc etc etc.... At that point you can concider the larger intake manifold.

so that ends up the intakes issue.

Does a camshaft change the compression ratio? for example stage II camshaft. also do I need new rockers and springs or will the OEM work with it?

Bill R.
11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
stroke of the piston, the size of the combustion chamber and the shape of the piston dome... Its a fixed number... What Jeff is referring to is the compression itself not the compression ratio...

k....what a cam does is change the dynamic compression at a different time compared to the stock cam...not static compression. You could in theory change to a larger lift cam with the same timing and get higher static compression at a slightly higher RPM range. If you went with a larger lift cam with more duration it would make more power at a higher RPM but you will sacrifice lower RPM power. This kind of discussion could go on forever. What you want to do is the most important aspect than just sticking in a bigger bumpstick. Usually if you go with a higher lift and duration cam it will tend to run better at higher ropms, so if thats whats going to happen the rest of the package will have to be tuned for that modification such as higher compression, larger valves, free flowing exhaust, stronger valve springs that wont bottom out from higher lift etc etc etc.... At that point you can concider the larger intake manifold.

grave77
11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
God ... thats really gonna go forever, what I wanted to do was that I was thinking about the M-power engines and how they do it without forced induction - supercharger, or turbo supercharger - which really fits in my area.

in the car registeration they do not allow physical viewed modifications. ( turbo, supercharger and maybe headers ) so I was thinking of stuff that keeps the engine look the same but inside it is different.

I just want it to be as powerfull as 290HP or 300.

I think many will suggest the V8 540 engine but thats too costly. also I would not be able to fit in my manual trans.

maybe changing the pistons and camshaft would do ... still I have no much knowledge in that ... and maybe I would finally turbo charge it with the old 745i system to make it look original as possible to make it pass the registeration.

BigKriss
11-22-2005, 09:35 PM
maybe changing the pistons and camshaft would do ... still I have no much knowledge in that ... and maybe I would finally turbo charge it with the old 745i system to make it look original as possible to make it pass the registeration. it won't do, the turbo setup is the best route. You will have to find an exhaust manifold that mounts the turbo low, so you cannot see it.
like here

http://forums.eurocca.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5869&stc=1&d=1109057802

grave77
11-23-2005, 02:19 AM
I had to register to see the picture :P .. anyway ... turbo is hidden but it's clear that it got a turbo ... but I think I got the idea. do u have other pics? so I can get more ideas ...

motorman
11-23-2005, 06:25 AM
I'm trying to get the same hp without forced induction, I have heard that the e3 3.3li has a 88.4 mm stroke (hard to come by, but not impossible) JE pistons in the US will make to order 93.4 mm pistons to any comp you want, this i believe will give the same swept vol as a e34 M5 3.6, getting rid of the maf, a cam, 10 to 1 comp or a bit more, extractors, ported head, larger throtle body and free flow induction system may get us up near there, but the cost. Maybe we can kick some ideas around, i like the idea of a std looking motor that really gets up and flies