PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem?

allenc
03-07-2004, 12:59 PM
I was driving down the highway when my radio stopped working.. I then went to roll up the window and it wouldn't roll up. At first I thought it was a simple fuse problem so I checked the number 20 fuse (which is in charge of the windows/obc/radio etc) and it looked fine. I replaced it with another anyway and still no luck. Randomly everything came back on, but it lasted for only 5 minutes because when i went to test everything i pressed the sunroof button, and immediately everthing shut off again. DOes this sound more like a short somewhere? IM not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

jplacson
03-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Check the main fusible link in the engine bay. It's one HUGE fuse that leads to the entire electrical system. Go to www.bmwe34.net for the procedure for this. :)

allenc
03-08-2004, 01:43 PM
So do I just need to look for a fuse that fits into the fusible link, or do you replace the whole component as a "link". If just the fuse needs to be replaced it looks from the website as tho its a 90 A fuse.. is this correct. Thanks for the reply!

jplacson
03-13-2004, 08:54 PM
To be honest, I don't know... I don't think I have one anymore in my car (previous owner probably didn't know what it was and had it removed!) But according to the site, yes it's a 90A fuse. Whether it's readily available or a BMW part, I really don't know.

KenB
03-14-2004, 08:52 AM
It is available from the dealer for less than $1.00. Even if it doesn't look bad it could be. When I first got my car it did the same thing and drove me nuts for a couple of weeks until I found out about the fusible link on this site. Been coming here for tips ever since.