PDA

View Full Version : Overheated Transmision ?

Strap
11-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Hey All,
Can you over heat the trans in a automatic if you run in sport mode on the highway to long?? I was racing/playing with a few cars on the highway the other day and i switched into sport mode for some extra pull and without noticing it i was at about 165 km and the tach was at about 5800 rpm for about 5 mins so after we slowed down , i had a toll booth ahaed and i asked my wife if she noticed the FOG in the car , after the toll booth i stoped and white smoked was comming out from the front left fender/tire then i looked under the car to find my whole exhaust was coverd with oil and burning it off. so off we went hoping to make it home ( about 60 miles away ) and i had no idea where we were at so no help if i needeed it ,well driving easy i made it back then when i got home checked the oil level and it was fine???
Then i moved the car to find RED fluid tranny fluid and it was still dripping allitle . so today i went to the shop with the car and there is no leaks , there is residue from the fluid but i cant find a leak to fix . it was right above the cat befor but now i cant find it . i drove for 15 mins no leak , let it idle for 1 hr in drive with the e brake on no leak......
Any IdeaS ... :(
Strap

athflying79
11-21-2005, 06:56 AM
I've had this happen to me twice. Once I got the Trans Prog message and drove home while it was limping in 3rd. I was on an interstate for about 20 min and it was turning at high RPM's. When I got home, I noticed some smoke rolling out from underneath. I took a look and sure enough it was dripping just a little bit of tranny fluid.

One other time, I hadn't really given her a good run in awhile, so right before my exit, I got it about to about 120. I was there for maybe 2 minutes. Got home and same thing. I also couldn't find the leak but was told it could be from a vent tube.

In both cases it didn't continue to leak and didn't act strange otherwise.