PDA

View Full Version : Need Coolant leak help

mbogosia
11-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I have a leak that starts leaking when the car is cold and then goes away. It is coming from the bottom of the expansion tank. I figured my sensor was bad so I replaced it yesterday. Well this morning I start my car and it is still leaking from down there. Anyone know what it could be? Can anyone explain how to remove the expansin tank. I have a felling it might be damaged. How , I don't know.

mbogosia
11-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Well I can probably figure it out from this diagram. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=17_0099&hg=17&fg=05

I might just bite the bullet and take it to aiken bimmerworks here in town and get it fixed.

mbogosia
11-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Okay it stopped leaking already. It drips for about 2-4 minutes at the most when cold and then it is fine. Something is expanding when it gets warm and stopping the leak.

Javier
11-20-2005, 07:53 AM
leak should be either a gasket or a broken part. Doubt a broken part would fix under pressure, so, bet Gasket # 3 is loose or damaged.

Javier

mbogosia
11-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks. I wasn't thinking of pressure building up, just heat. I assume as more pressure builds it causes the gasket to tighten up. Well, I can't get that gasket on a sunday anywhere so I guess i'll have to wait till next weekend.