PDA

View Full Version : can a windshield be transported overseas?

shogun
11-19-2005, 10:38 PM
without danger to break? I have never seen it packed for transportation. They are asking here for a windshield abt. $ 800-900 at BMW.
One of my friend has the windshield cracked on his E32 735 and we want to import the glass. But most of the companies I have asked so far (Germany) insist on pick up.
Anyone knows an online supplier in the U.S. or Australia which would be willing to ship overseas?
Of course, risk to be on our side. But no risk, no joy. In Germany they are selling them for less than $ 200 at the moment.

Torque
11-19-2005, 10:40 PM
As a UPS employee, I wouldn't suggest it. lol Unless of course you get insurance for it.

genphreak
11-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Anyone knows an online supplier in the U.S. or Australia which would be willing to ship overseas?
Of course, risk to be on our side. But no risk, no joy. In Germany they are selling them for less than $ 200 at the moment.Hi Erich, I used to design crates for the major Australian Manufacturers. We made steel and aluminium frames that held the glass upright so fork-lifting didn't damage it. These manufacturers had breakage rates (road freight), from factory warehouse to store (Australia wide) of 3-4% because fragile stickers are never acted upon and they weren't always packed right.

The way to do it would be to sell aout 10 screens to someone, then make a wooden crate for 11 and ship yours too. That would take up 2 pallet spaces but not weigh much. The crate would be fork-liftable, marked this way up only so damage becomes less likely- however packing needs to use the correct dunnage for the screens and must be done properly.

I know the manufacturers here in Aus and could get pricing on the screens you want so long as it was a bulk quantity. 1 or 2 off is kinda hard (but not impossible) they also make side glass, etc. Problem is shipping small quantities is not possible. Aussie glass is slightly softer than euro- better resistance to stones but they scratch from abrasion more easily. They all have the tinted upper sun-strip of course.

:) Nick

shogun
11-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks Nick,

at the moment only one required. And to buy a lot of 10 is probably not so interesting. If a windshield glass breaks, the owner wants to have it repaired immy.
But I will ask a member of the E32 club here, if he is interested to import the glass. He has a online shop for BMW parts.

genphreak
11-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks Nick, at the moment only one required. And to buy a lot of 10 is probably not so interesting. If a windshield glass breaks, the owner wants to have it repaired immy. But I will ask a member of the E32 club here, if he is interested to import the glass. He has a online shop for BMW parts.Oh, when I say small quantities is not possible, I mean it is just not feasible- a wooden crate and dunnage might cost $500 and could be many times (but not I imagine in your case). I guess the only thing I can do is ensure you get wholesale in AU dollars and make sure it gets shipped. :) Nick

shogun
11-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Maybe I found one in Germany for 145 EURO.
The prob is now to get it over to Japan.
So a friend is checking the possibility now. That price is really good. Incl. the heated area for the wiper parking area.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7965564169&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN_BIN_Stores_IT
For E34 they offer them for EURO 99.99 ex stock
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8015681933&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN_BIN_Stores_IT

For example by German postal services I could get a 10 kg parcel for 52 EURO to Japan in 10-14 days as cheapest. If that is possible for glass/breakables.
Also got my Behr radiator this way from Germany.

winfred
11-20-2005, 08:48 AM
you don't have a good one in any of your parts cars? we have had a pretty good success rate hiring a glass company to cut them out at our salvage yard, some guys use a hot wire but the most common is a modified sawzall that only has about a quarter inch stroke, $40-50 is usually what they charge to cut one out

Maybe I found one in Germany for 145 EURO.
The prob is now to get it over to Japan.
So a friend is checking the possibility now. That price is really good. Incl. the heated area for the wiper parking area.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7965564169&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN_BIN_Stores_IT
For E34 they offer them for EURO 99.99 ex stock
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8015681933&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN_BIN_Stores_IT

For example by German postal services I could get a 10 kg parcel for 52 EURO to Japan in 10-14 days as cheapest. If that is possible for glass/breakables.
Also got my Behr radiator this way from Germany.

shogun
11-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Winfred, I extra bought this special removal tool for the windscreen. Used it on one of the parts cars, and 1 wrong move and it was destroyed. Do not want to remove the screens from the other cars now before winter starts. Could make more damages to interior parts as I have them parked outside w/o cover.
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/windshield/windshieldreplacement.htm

winfred
11-20-2005, 06:17 PM
the pull handle with a L shaped blade shown is a joke for dealing with the urethane caulk that holds these windshields in, it'll do the glass on stuff like old volvos use that gummy black goo, the wire style will do it but you really need something like a real glass installer uses, id call a glass shop and get a quote on pulling one, you still have to pay if he breaks it but he is better equiped to get one out, we have had a couple dozen pulled with no breaks yet over the years

genphreak
11-21-2005, 12:14 AM
without danger to break? I have never seen it packed for transportation. They are asking here for a windshield abt. $ 800-900 at BMW.
One of my friend has the windshield cracked on his E32 735 and we want to import the glass. But most of the companies I have asked so far (Germany) insist on pick up.
Of course, risk to be on our side. But no risk, no joy. In Germany they are selling them for less than $200 at the moment.I remember that write-up, its very good Sean's stuff. It is a bit of a break your heart story that one. :(

BTW, FYI: Prices in Australia for 1 off (not a crate load)

e32 $250
e34 $205

A nice wooden crate for one would cost at least $300 plus shipping- I'd expect its weight to be around 50kg though. Problem is if you make it for one and they end up flat or falling over it **WILL** break, so it really needs to be rectangular and as deep as it is high or wide.

Also, they have to be fork-lifted vertically when freighted as I said before. If they lie down flat inside the box (or the box is tipped) the screens will break under their own weight. Any pressure point in the packing will cause a crack.

In my experience that means the box has to be too big to move any other way (they will otherwise) so you might as well buy 11 off to amortise the freight cost and be assured the risk is managable.

Truly Erich, I'd avoid the risk. Its a lot to loose and a long way to travel! Even if the box was painted RED and yellow and had flashing fragile lights on top!!!

shogun
11-21-2005, 12:40 AM
I know it is a risk. And my friend has to decide it if he wants us to take the risk.
Just got the flwg info from the U.K.:

hi Erich,
Read you post on the other site
If you want to transport a windscreen or two get a wooden packing crate made up using a basis of 75 x 25mm timber length wise and 10mm marine ply as the bed form the side to about 200mm tall over sized to the screen by 150mm all round the perimiter line the walls with polystyrene sheets about 50mm thick and fill the "box" with polystyrene chips lay on the screen and over fill the box proud of the side by another 50mm to allow squash compression screw lid on and have another 25 x 75mm softwood twin runners across the top and down the edges.
This will allow transport in as much safety as possible (I know I am a shop fitter in the UK and regularly transport Glass by such as TNT or DHL

Hope this is of help
Derek

------------------------------
Well, I think within the next 24 hours I will get a reply from the shop in Germany, if that is feasible or not based on their experience.

genphreak
11-21-2005, 06:33 AM
I know it is a risk. And my friend has to decide it if he wants us to take the risk. Indeed, your European details sounds like good advice, packing wise. 75x25 is easy and strong. I was thinking of a similar method for only one screen, but I would be tempted (if doing the shipment) to ship something, anything, with it - in order to make the overall box size large enough that they leave it upright (so the screen remains vertical at all times).

I've also seen a lot of breakages. We used to make a range of collapisble containers out of metal as it doesn't move around (flex) when moved or double stacked during shipment. Perhaps (should you go ahead and use a wooden box) you could get it made with an 9mm plywood interior (ie double skined), to stop any of the outer planks flexing individually when a point load is applied. Regards, Nick

winfred
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
you could build a crate then wrap the glass in several layers of plastic suspend it in the crate then fill with AB foam and let it expand surronding the glass, that outta do it

genphreak
11-21-2005, 09:30 AM
you could build a crate then wrap the glass in several layers of plastic suspend it in the crate then fill with AB foam and let it expand surronding the glass, that outta do itGood one Winfred, that'd be far better than foam chips- they move too much. If you did this, you might be able to get away with just a standard box...

shogun
11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Just got a message from the shop. They talked with their forwarding company which sends the windshields throughout Germany.
They refused to ship with insurance for breaking. I will contact Panalpina or one of these companies. But will probably too expensive for only one glass.