PDA

View Full Version : Total repaint

rick49
11-19-2005, 10:34 PM
I just bought a '92 525it in great condition mechanically and interior. My only dissatisfaction is that the paint finish was not well maintained (it's not terrible - just not befitting a fine car like this one). I took it to a very highly regarded local (Hartford, CT) paint shop and they walked me through all the steps that would be taken to restore the finish of the car to "showroom new." I have little doubt that they can deliver what they promise, but the price they quoted threw me for a loop.

Understanding that prices vary somewhat by geographic region, I'd appreciate knowing members' thoughts on what a total repaint should cost. The car is beige metallic/clearcoat with little body work required other than the painting (a few dings and one rust spot on lower door panel). I'm not mentioning the price I was quoted, so as not to prejudice anyone's answer.

Thanks so much.

Springfield1952
11-20-2005, 12:08 AM
My son asked a friend who owns a body shop what it would cost to repaint a M5 that I was looking at. He quote $4,000 to $6,000 depending on the body work required and the color. Apparently the price for paint is widely variable depending on the color. This is in Northern California. Good luck.

Curt.

pundit
11-20-2005, 12:09 AM
I just bought a '92 525it in great condition mechanically and interior. My only dissatisfaction is that the paint finish was not well maintained (it's not terrible - just not befitting a fine car like this one). I took it to a very highly regarded local (Hartford, CT) paint shop and they walked me through all the steps that would be taken to restore the finish of the car to "showroom new." I have little doubt that they can deliver what they promise, but the price they quoted threw me for a loop.

Understanding that prices vary somewhat by geographic region, I'd appreciate knowing members' thoughts on what a total repaint should cost. The car is beige metallic/clearcoat with little body work required other than the painting (a few dings and one rust spot on lower door panel). I'm not mentioning the price I was quoted, so as not to prejudice anyone's answer.

Thanks so much.
I would think $3 to $5k for a repaint and $5 to $10k for a total color change.
If anyone tells you they can give you a quality repaint for under $2k.... they can't.

angrypancake
11-20-2005, 12:41 AM
At the body shop right near me, a close friend's brother works there. He used to do our civics back in high school for dirt cheap. I stopped by one day and asked about a color change to "show quality" which includes the entire engine bay, all door jambs, etc etc. He said about $5k, because I was gonna go with a lime green (see sig pic) with a lot of clear coat. For a same color respray, it would probly be $2k. HTH.

pyro
11-20-2005, 02:25 AM
place here in bay area quoted 1600 for cylipso and 1400 for non metalic color

Rory535i
11-20-2005, 05:00 AM
also the price depends a lot on the paint manufacturer

Interceptor
11-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Understanding that prices vary somewhat by geographic region, I'd appreciate knowing members' thoughts on what a total repaint should cost. The car is beige metallic/clearcoat with little body work required other than the painting (a few dings and one rust spot on lower door panel). I'm not mentioning the price I was quoted, so as not to prejudice anyone's answer.Total repaint (Alpin Weiss II, including bumpers and some minor bodywork) = US $600.

Of course, I live in a country where monthly sallary is US$ 700...

pundit
11-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Total repaint (Alpin Weiss II, including bumpers and some minor bodywork) = US $600.

Of course, I live in a country where monthly sallary is US$ 700...
That's probably equivalent to about $4k US!

Badkrma
11-20-2005, 08:12 AM
My back neighbor is a retired body shop worker/owner. He makes his fun money by still painting cars. Charged me $600 for a full paint job. Looks great, a lot better then the clear coat peeling that was going on........

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/badkrma/IMG_0194.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/badkrma/IMG_0196.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/badkrma/IMG_0198.jpg

Gayle
11-20-2005, 08:45 AM
My back neighbor is a retired body shop worker/owner. He makes his fun money by still painting cars. Charged me $600 for a full paint job. Looks great, a lot better then the clear coat peeling that was going on........

Holy **** Stephen--$600!!! Next time you visit the family in LA I want to see that paint job up close. If it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, I'll be asking you to ask your neighbor if he needs any more funny money. My paint is pretty good but I want perfect.

Russell
11-20-2005, 08:52 AM
imo-not proper prep as trim and other pieces are not removed. You cannot sand/mask properly around trim. It will peel, just a matter of time. Even so, it looks good now.

Jay 535i
11-20-2005, 09:21 AM
To do it right, you should remove all the trim and prep the body properly. ALL cars this old need bodywork, and prepping the paint takes a lot of time and must be done properly for a good looking and long lasting finish.

Making a long story short, if you want a factory-quality paint job, it takes several days and $5-10k.

If you wanted all the door jambs, underhood etc. painted, it could go as high as $20k for a concours quality paint job.

Quality paint alone will run $300-500.

Tiger
11-20-2005, 09:26 AM
The truth is paint supply runs about $700... other is labor and prep equipment and EPA fee...

Jose
11-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Proper paint job done by a professional shop should go for approx. 5K if quality paint is used such as Glasurit. I fyou want a special thing for example House of Kolor paint, add at least 1500 US to the total. The problem with pro-shops is they have to pay at least four people workin on your car. I myself do complete spray overs for 2K for mildly damaged cars and 2.5K for car with much bodywork.No machines used for sanding only the old fashion hand. This includes resanding the finished paint with waterproof 2000 3M paper and repolishing it back to ridiculous shine. A bit like the Rolls and Bently boys actually.

Badkrma
11-20-2005, 12:54 PM
You are rigth for a factory job it does cost money, but why gold plate something that is 16 years old....... If it looks good and cost under a grand and will last lets say 5 years, sounds good to me. I have had this man paint other things for me, camper topper for my pickup - three years ago, and it still looks new (and I leave it outside year round, most of the time it is not on my truck just on a home made stand).

Reminder: most of our cars are worth $3 - $10k, do you think that spending $3 - $10k on a paint job your value just went up...... I will bet you I could get jsut as much for my $600 paint job as you would get for one that had a $3k paint job....... Just the adult in me talking....

Stephen