PDA

View Full Version : Thermostate housing leaking........ please help

Akhil
11-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I am back. I have got lot of help from you guys in my privious post "Italian tune-up coused over heating".

Today, I installed new water pump with metal impeller and new thermostat to fix the over heating problem. Here are the results.

1# Installed new water pump with new O-Ring lubricated with little fresh BMW coolant. It installed fine with no problem.

2# Installed new thermostat with new O-Ring with arrow ( -> ) pointing vertical upward.

3# Installed thermostat housing with new Gasket.

4# Checked all the Nuts and Bolts for water pump and thermostat for proper tourque as mentioned in Bentally Manual..

4# Filled the system with 50/50 BMW coolant and distilled water and bleed through radiator bleed screw.

Now when I started my cold engine, after about a minute, I show coolant leaking underneath the car. I checked where its coming from, then found out Its coming from Thermostat housing. This was not like seeping few drops, rather coolant was flowing out of housing all around its corners.

Can you guys please help me with this? What could have gone wrong or what did I do wrong while installing the thermostat housing? I cleaned the housing surface and the engine block surface as much as I could and it was very clean and smooth with no bump. Should I have put some kind of sealant with new gasket?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Akhil

Derek A.
11-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Did you use a paper gasket or a profile gasket.

Akhil
11-20-2005, 08:05 AM
I used paper gasket. Got it from BMA, part # BMW037003.

Thanks.

Akhil
11-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Any one please.............

High Compression II
11-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Try replacing the gasget and use a little sealer on both sides of the new gasget. Tighten up the housing evenly all round in small amounts untill all bolts are the correct tightness.

If this doesnt help, the thermostat housing may well have distorted and need replacement.......

Akhil
11-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks High Compression II.

I will buy a new gasket tomorrow and will install it according to your instruction.

I will let you guys the result.

Best Regards,
Akhil