PDA

View Full Version : That little mysterious vent among the HVAC controls

Jay 535i
11-19-2005, 01:51 PM
That little one, about the size of a fingernail, between two of the HVAC dials. What is it?

My car's aftermarket wood kit covers mine. Is that a problem?

Interceptor
11-19-2005, 01:54 PM
That little one, about the size of a fingernail, between two of the HVAC dials. What is it?

My car's aftermarket wood kit covers mine. Is that a problem?It's an opening for the interior temperature sensor - blocking it is not a good idea.

Jay 535i
11-19-2005, 01:57 PM
It's an opening for the interior temperature sensor - blocking it is not a good idea.

What you suppose the consequences are of blocking it? My HVAC's never worked quite right. I wonder if this is why.

Since the wood kit was installed by a previous owner, I didn't even know there was a vent there until I saw the pic of your new steering wheel, Interceptor! The vent's clearly visible in that pic.

Before I go cutting up the wood kit, I'd like to know what I'm missing by having the vent blocked.

Interceptor
11-19-2005, 02:03 PM
What you suppose the consequences are of blocking it? My HVAC's never worked quite right. I wonder if this is why.

Since the wood kit was installed by a previous owner, I didn't even know there was a vent there until I saw the pic of your new steering wheel, Interceptor! The vent's clearly visible in that pic.

Before I go cutting up the wood kit, I'd like to know what I'm missing by having the vent blocked.By covering that vent you are blocking air flow so the temperature sensor cannot precisely determine the interior temperature which may lead to funny heating/cooling behaviour - for example overheating or overcooling, no matter what temp you set on the dials.

Jay 535i
11-19-2005, 02:05 PM
By covering that vent you are blocking air flow so the temperature sensor cannot precisely determine the interior temperature which may lead to funny heating/cooling behaviour - for example overheating or overcooling, no matter what temp you set on the dials.

Hmm, that could be me.

Alright -- getting out the Exacto knife...

Interceptor
11-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Hmm, that could be me.

Alright -- getting out the Exacto knife...Happy slicing :) I hope you get your HVAC back to normal :)

Alexlind123
11-19-2005, 08:08 PM
I believe the thermostats are over-rided when the drivers temperature dial is all the way in either direction, so you would probably have to do that if you wanted it to function reliably with a blocked temperature sensor.

Jay 535i
11-20-2005, 09:16 AM
I believe the thermostats are over-rided when the drivers temperature dial is all the way in either direction, so you would probably have to do that if you wanted it to function reliably with a blocked temperature sensor.

That's precisely what I'm having to do. Which is why I'm gonna unblock that thing.