PDA

View Full Version : "+15bhp" piggy back chip/ turbonator????

octanejunkie
11-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi there

Been looking for cost effective methods of getting a few extra horses from my e34 535i and have come across some interesting, if a little suspicious items. The first is one i bought from ebay. Its called the "+15bhp chip" and is a small black box, a little smaller than a box of matches with two wires coming from it. Apparently you fit it in place of the intake air temperature sensor. It is supposed to fool the engine into thinking that the air coming in is always cold, thus advancing the timing a little and giving a bit more power. It cost about £15 ($30).
I soldered the "chips" wires to the pink wires inside the AFM which appear to go to the IAT sensor, then cut off the sensor which pops up into the air flow on the intake side of the AFM. Not sure if its made a difference or not without a dyno printout. I have another AFM in case it destroys this one, but seems ok!! Any advice/experience anyone???
Ok, on this site there is a link to "THE TURBONATOR", claiming to be a supercharger. I can see in principle how it works, but can this device get over the restrictivness of the AFM by forcing more air through it? Won't it screw up the intake system? My friend says he's come across them before and rekons they're sh#t.
Sounds too good to be true. Whats the word on the forum? Don't wanna blow a gasket!!

bullyd
11-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi there

Been looking for cost effective methods of getting a few extra horses from my e34 535i and have come across some interesting, if a little suspicious items. The first is one i bought from ebay. Its called the "+15bhp chip" and is a small black box, a little smaller than a box of matches with two wires coming from it. Apparently you fit it in place of the intake air temperature sensor. It is supposed to fool the engine into thinking that the air coming in is always cold, thus advancing the timing a little and giving a bit more power. It cost about £15 ($30).
I soldered the "chips" wires to the pink wires inside the AFM which appear to go to the IAT sensor, then cut off the sensor which pops up into the air flow on the intake side of the AFM. Not sure if its made a difference or not without a dyno printout. I have another AFM in case it destroys this one, but seems ok!! Any advice/experience anyone???
Ok, on this site there is a link to "THE TURBONATOR", claiming to be a supercharger. I can see in principle how it works, but can this device get over the restrictivness of the AFM by forcing more air through it? Won't it screw up the intake system? My friend says he's come across them before and rekons they're sh#t.
Sounds too good to be true. Whats the word on the forum? Don't wanna blow a gasket!!
the +15 hp chip is a resistor bought for around 20p at maplin and incased in a bit of plastic. turbonator,hmm just keep clicking that link (ed ;) ) but as far as buying one......im not sure.

Qube
11-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Erm.... do a search for that on the forum.

I wouldn't strap that "+15bhp" on my car if you paid me.

mikell
11-19-2005, 01:24 PM
If it sounds too good to be true, it ain't true - no free lunches. You might wish to do a search of this forum - the turbonator and several other perennial automotive nostrums have been discussed at hilarious length.

pundit
11-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi there

The devices are a waste of money and in most cases offer little or no performance benefit, and in the worse cases can potentially cause damage.

motorman
11-20-2005, 03:16 AM
[Try perfectpower.com, they make a piggy back computer that makes your engine fully programable, easy to install, best tuned on a dyno for best results, must use premium 95 or 98 fuel, more power and toque than a chip

motorman
11-20-2005, 03:27 AM
Sorry, also can try modernperformanceinc.com, he sells the piggy back as well as a MAF to replace your old air flow meter, old air flow meter is a big air restriction, i have this setup on my e34 535ia, kit comes with K&N cone air filter, this takes the H.P. to about 240 or a bit more with fine tuning, can also be retuned to any new mods you make.

kyleN20
11-20-2005, 02:16 PM
with both those installed you ought to be abel to hit the 200 mph mark

octanejunkie
11-21-2005, 03:03 AM
with both those installed you ought to be abel to hit the 200 mph mark

Do you think driving in a lightweight spandex suit like a skier would increase performance?

pundit
11-21-2005, 04:29 AM
Do you think driving in a lightweight spandex suit like a skier would increase performance?
I hope you're not criticising my driving apparel... are you?!!
I kinda like the slinky feel when pushing the pedal to the metal.
Oh and the kevlar undies (worn on the outside of course) are just the ticket!! :D

motorman
11-21-2005, 05:52 AM
Interesting comment, not a true believer, try this web address http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/E28535BigPower.html. for info on e28 and e34 535 engine mods and power outputs and other info on extracting more power from this engine, see also info on Alpina B9 3.5 on the e28 or www.alpinaaustralia.com.au, hope this info shines some light on extracting more power from this engine for you. Rivernet address now works. Never could spell!

kyleN20
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
if you drive with the windos open, yes

octanejunkie
11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Not at all dear fellow.
Also considered cutting a hole in the bulkhead so i could push the throttle down further. I'm waiting for christmas for some fur lined slippers to keep my feet warm before i do though! ;->

motorman
11-23-2005, 04:21 AM
[Hi! just a couple of suggestions, e34 535 throttle body size is only 64 mm, alpina machined these out to 68 mm which improves thottle responce and top end, ecu rechip on its own will give you about 220 to 223 hp, Jim C chip or the others chips suggested on the thread are all good, split second WWW.splitsec.com in the US make a replacement for the Bosch air flow meter with the flap(very restrictive) split second also come with air/fuel ratio meter and is adjustable to other mods you may wish to do, BMP design www.bmpdesign.com in the US also do the same kit for a few dollars more, K & N cone filter sheilded from engine bay heat to draw cold air. All these together will take your car upto about 240hp, see rivernet on my earlier thread for more info and a chart for hp and toque figures for different mods