PDA

View Full Version : Dinan upgrades

wang540
11-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Im just wondering if the Dinan engine chip and the short-shifter kit are worth the money because i am looking into getting them in the next few months. What is your opinion(s) on them? Thanks alot

Johntee540
11-19-2005, 12:18 PM
There are a lot of other chips that put more useable power into the right ranges that are way better than the Dinan Chip.

IMHO - and its mine so feel free to disagree - Dinan stuff is over-rated Designer stuff that is more "bling" than function.

Check out the EAT Chip - Mark D'sylva the owner is a regular contributor here. He is also available to help out and answer any questions you may have while doing the upgrade or even later down the road. Do you ever see Steve Dinan posting here - or anywhere else for that fact?

There is also the Jim Conforti chip. But I will bet that most anyone here running a chip is running the EAT Chip.

JT

Incantation
11-19-2005, 12:22 PM
i agree the EAT is better than the dinan chip FOR THE E34 ( i have one myself) but it's ridiculous to say that dinan upgrades are more "bling" than function, and are over-rated.

the e34 is an old car; we are lucky mark made a better chip, but the dinan one isn't bad at all

bfd
11-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Im just wondering if the Dinan engine chip and the short-shifter kit are worth the money because i am looking into getting them in the next few months. What is your opinion(s) on them? Thanks alot

I agree with others that for a chip, get the cheapest one, and arguably the best - EAT.

As for whether Dinan stuff is "worth it"? My take is if you run your car on the street, Dinan suspensions are great. Handle great and very, very comfortable. Alternatively, if you can find BMW M tech suspension, then that would be another way to go. I think Dinan copied the M tech suspension as both only lower the car 1/2" to 3/4". Enough to improve handling without the harshness.

For short shifters, if you got the $$$, get UUC. Otherwise, do a search, you can replace your shifter with a Z3 or E36 one.

wang540
11-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for your input. Ill look into the other chips you mentioned. But what about the short-shifter can you make any suggestions of other brands or should i just stick with Dinan for that?

bfd
11-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your input. Ill look into the other chips you mentioned. But what about the short-shifter can you make any suggestions of other brands or should i just stick with Dinan for that?

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com

Alternatively, read this:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/drivetrain/e36_replace_a_shift_lever.html

pyro
11-20-2005, 02:44 AM
i have a dinan chip and i work at a shop... i was curious and smog tested to see if it woudl pass and the dinan chip still passes smog...

Incantation
11-20-2005, 11:29 AM
with the EAT chip my aircare test still passed WAY WAY below even the average reading for newer cars

love the m30