PDA

View Full Version : Which E.A.T. chip to get?

laguner
11-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I have a 1990 535i with 150K miles on it. There are three chips from E.A.T. for my car. Stock RPM limit and two that raise the peak RPM's. Which one should I get? I have an automatic tranny and don't often get into the high RPM range. Does anyone have a dyno printout of the 3 chips? I went to the E.A.T. site and there was no information on performance, which I found odd.

Incantation
11-19-2005, 07:53 AM
yea i think that's odd too.. i have the chip and considering how many other people do you would think there would be a dyno chart available to view

Russell
11-19-2005, 08:03 AM
However, I believe he stated a year or so ago that he would respond. However he has not. Keep in mind that he is a small shop and his priorities must be to develop and market his products. Dyno figures for all the BMW models he chips would be a bit time consuming unless they are done/kept during the chip development and testing.

Even without the numbers, my butt dyno says the chip works very well. I have had it in my car for over a year (not sure how long) and it has helped low end performace and I believe gas mileage.

laguner
11-19-2005, 08:07 AM
It is impossible to develop the chip without dynoing it. Conforti has horsepower numbers for his stuff.

zygoteer
11-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I would advise the stock rev limit for an auto, as it would only be in 'sport mode' where it will let you use those extra revs when going through the gears.

On my car with stock rev limit EAT, the difference in acceleration is very marked.
I believe you will be very pleased.
(and I think if you wish to go quicker you should change the car ! ... F288 recommended)

Gayle
11-19-2005, 09:07 AM
These threads may help. Do a search on dyno chart and there are other threads that may tell you helpful info.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13323&highlight=dyno+chart

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13091&page=1&pp=10&highlight=dyno+chart

Also attached is a chart orginally posted by Phil Sanderson in the second thread listed above.

Jay 535i
11-19-2005, 11:51 AM
I have the exact same car, and picked my chip with the help of Mark himself. He suggested that I stick with the stock rev limit, for the sake of the auto tranny.

You'll notice a nice improvement with the new chip, although it takes a few days for the full effect to take hold. Low-down torque is particularly noticeable. Stick with the stock rev limit for the sake of your tranny, and you'll still have lots to enjoy.

Good luck!

Incantation
11-19-2005, 12:09 PM
a dyno chart would help market .. also if he's developing wouldn't he be using a dyno to test? and i am sure he would save the info too

Jay 535i
11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
a dyno chart would help market .. also if he's developing wouldn't he be using a dyno to test? and i am sure he would save the info too

Mark certainly does use a dyno. I've seen him do it. I'm sure he has the figures, if you ask him. Send him a PM.

Russell
11-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I have asked.

pundit
11-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah, stick to the stock rev limit chip with an auto.
All three are supposed to be identical with the exception of the rev limit.

MarkD
11-19-2005, 04:31 PM
However, I believe he stated a year or so ago that he would respond. However he has not. Keep in mind tha the is a small shop and his priorities must be to develop and market his products. Dyno figures for all the BMW models he chips would be a bit time consuming unless they are done/kept during the chip development and testing.

Even without the numbers, my butt dyno says the chip works very well. I have had it in my car for over a year (not sure) and it has helpe low end performace and I believe gas mileage.

You will get a 5 to 8% increase with most of my chips.

Until mid June of 2005, the dyno was used as a rolling road, but was not calibrated. Now it is. I am hoping to add dyno runs to my site next year.

Mark

MarkD
11-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Mark certainly does use a dyno. I've seen him do it. I'm sure he has the figures, if you ask him. Send him a PM.

Yes you did see me do it, and at that point I also had the dyno calibrated.

Earlier chips were made by using the dyno more as a rolling road. Then I'd take it out for a road test. It worked well for quite a few chips.

Mark

laguner
11-19-2005, 05:00 PM
So it looks like something between 183 and 191 horsepower at the rear wheels after looking at those dyno charts. If the car has 208 HP stock and we subtract 17% for drivetrain loss, I get 172.64 HP at the rear wheels at best stock. The chip then gives you between 10.36 and 18.36HP? Does that sound right? Oh, thanks everybody for all the great responses!

Russell
11-19-2005, 06:14 PM
good enough for me!