PDA

View Full Version : Some problems.....

clay
11-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi, I got a few problems on my 89 535i. First off, I am trying to get my instrument gauges out. So, I need a few tips on trying to get the Steering Wheel off. Any helpful insight would be greatly appreicated.

Also, My trans. is eff'd up. I can only Manually shift it 1st to 3rd. My 4th(overdrive)does not work and also Standard and Economy settings wont shift out of 1st. Some of my freinds have told me it might be a Shift solinoid or Speed Sensor. Any help would be Great!!!

Thanks!

Brian C.
11-18-2005, 08:13 PM
....courtesy of Bill R. the Great.

R&R of steering wheel and dash (http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html)

It is EXCELLENTLY written and posted here and his step by step directions should help you greatly. I am not much of a mechanic and I've never done this procedure, but I must stress.....TAKE CARE WITH THE AIRBAG REMOVAL! Make certain that you have disconnected the battery before ANYTHING. Follow the steps carefully.

I hope this helps....Good Luck.....

Brian C.

angrypancake
11-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I also have an 89 535i. You don't need to take the steering wheel off to get the instrument cluster out. You need to drop the steering column a bit. There are two bolts holding it in place and you can loosen them just enough so that the column will come down and allow for the cluster to come out. I'll try and find the writeup that I followed, and post the link. Unless of course you want your wheel off to change it, then you can disregard this.

Alexlind123
11-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Yes, it is fairly straightforward and can probably be wrapped up in an hour. Do be careful with the airbag though, the reason you lay them face up is so they dont act as their own projectile if they happen to go off, thats not the only thing to be concerned about tho.

billb
11-19-2005, 06:16 AM
I also have an 89 535i. You don't need to take the steering wheel off to get the instrument cluster out. You need to drop the steering column a bit. There are two bolts holding it in place and you can loosen them just enough so that the column will come down and allow for the cluster to come out. I'll try and find the writeup that I followed, and post the link. Unless of course you want your wheel off to change it, then you can disregard this.

...always start with disconnecting the battery if you're going to be messing with the SRS system.

Beemr750
11-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Don't mess with the steering wheel,it's saver and faster by just dropping the steering column.Done it twice sofar without battery disconnect,besides it might save you a trip to a shop to reset SRS module.

Bill R.
11-19-2005, 08:39 AM
remove the steering wheel, and you have to disconnect the battery anyway, and disconnect the airbag connector under the steering column.
The srs light in the dash cluster is part of the circuit. It takes much longer to drop the steering column and is a poor method for doing it.

Don't mess with the steering wheel,it's saver and faster by just dropping the steering column.Done it twice sofar without battery disconnect,besides it might save you a trip to a shop to reset SRS module.

Jr ///M5
11-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Thud, thud, thud........

clay
11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys! But 2 things, One How do you get the wheel off After the airbag is disconnected??? I tried pulling it off like my 88 porsche 944 but that didnt work soo is there some screws that im just not seeing??? And also any one have any input on the Trans. Problem??? im not tooo worried about the steering wheel I'v looked at both ways and it shouldnt be more then alil bit to do so my main concern is the trans. not shift...

Any one??? lol

Thanks,

Qube
11-21-2005, 07:32 PM
So... perhaps some one can elaborate on 'loosen two nuts to drop the column' bit? :|

Claude
11-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys! But 2 things, One How do you get the wheel off After the airbag is disconnected??? I tried pulling it off like my 88 porsche 944 but that didnt work soo is there some screws that im just not seeing??? And also any one have any input on the Trans. Problem??? im not tooo worried about the steering wheel I'v looked at both ways and it shouldnt be more then alil bit to do so my main concern is the trans. not shift...

Any one??? lol

Thanks,

Just put the key in the steering and turn it to position 2 or 3, this will permit you to pull out the steering wheel.

Javier
11-21-2005, 09:10 PM
from the connector socket at the left side of the trany.

Check this thread, it could help.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5663

Also attached picture. Note connector view shown is the plug (female pin contact).

Javier