PDA

View Full Version : 535i rebuild (could be out of my depth???)

toby535i
11-18-2005, 05:03 PM
this is now my second beemer and wont look back. the last one i built/rebuilt i did all the work myself this one i have picked up where the last lad left off, can anyone advise me on the valve to piston timing ??????? cheers. sorry should have put down b4 it is a 91 535i sport auto if it helps it is originally from ireland .cheers again.

DanH
11-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Maybe you could help us out by giving a little info on what state the car is in now.

Are you only rebuilding the engine?

I suggest you get a Bentley E34 manual if you are going to take on this rebuild.

Anton CH.
11-19-2005, 12:45 AM
For rebuilds Haynes is actually a lot better. The bottom end has a TDC marker on the front vibration damper, it is supposed to align with the notch. As far as the top goes, I believe there is a special tool for this. ON m50s there is a method of doign this via a ruler, works well.

this is now my second beemer and wont look back. the last one i built/rebuilt i did all the work myself this one i have picked up where the last lad left off, can anyone advise me on the valve to piston timing ??????? cheers. sorry should have put down b4 it is a 91 535i sport auto if it helps it is originally from ireland .cheers again.

uscharalph
11-19-2005, 12:50 AM
For rebuilds Haynes is actually a lot better. The bottom end has a TDC marker on the front vibration damper, it is supposed to align with the notch. As far as the top goes, I believe there is a special tool for this. ON m50s there is a method of doign this via a ruler, works well.
Haynes better???

pundit
11-19-2005, 01:19 AM
I can't vouch for the Haynes but considering all the accolades for the Bentley it certainly only covers most things in a cursory fashion. But then how much would a factory manual cost if you could get one?.... $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!