PDA

View Full Version : trans program

Mendozart
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Okay, I'm going to have the tranny codes read later today for $45. My one question or thought is with 188k on the tranny, should I just rebuild this thing anyway? I've obviously gotten my moneys worth on this tranny. Do you think I'm throwing $45 away?

Scott C
11-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Okay, I'm going to have the tranny codes read later today for $45. My one question or thought is with 188k on the tranny, should I just rebuild this thing anyway? I've obviously gotten my moneys worth on this tranny. Do you think I'm throwing $45 away?

Others may not be on, so here is my 2cents... How long you going to keep this car? If for years, you may choose to rebuild the transmission now anyway as it is nearing its end of life. (Mine was rebuilt for free at 60K by stealer). If you keep this car short term, certainly spend the $45 to try to isolate the problem, it could very well be a problem that could be fixed at a cost less than $2000 and keep you going. Maybe they will credit the $45 code reading toward a rebuild if that is required.

Scott

Mendozart
11-18-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm definitely keeping this car for many more years. The engine is probably only half way done and the car is in very good shape overall. I basically wanted the codes so that I would be armed with all information when dealing with tranny service/rebuilders.

Mendozart
11-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Would unplugging tranny module clear the codes? At lunch I removed the passenger kick panel to access the tranny module and unplugged it. Just as I did it I wondered if I should have left it alone because I was going to be reading the codes stored. Later when I had the codes read, there were none stored. I'm just going to have to drive it some more for another trans prog. The guy said he wouldn't charge me anymore, as it is he only charged me $20.

Scott C
11-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Would unplugging tranny module clear the codes? At lunch I removed the passenger kick panel to access the tranny module and unplugged it. Just as I did it I wondered if I should have left it alone because I was going to be reading the codes stored. Later when I had the codes read, there were none stored. I'm just going to have to drive it some more for another trans prog. The guy said he wouldn't charge me anymore, as it is he only charged me $20.

Does your tranny actually go into limp mode (only 3rd gear for fwd) when trans prog is showing? Is your battery good or 4 years or older?
Scott

Mendozart
11-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it goes into limp mode. Battery is good, about 3 years old.

Scott C
11-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Yeah, it goes into limp mode. Battery is good, about 3 years old.

I should have added this the first post...

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/TransProgram.asp

Good luck,
Scott

Mendozart
11-19-2005, 09:04 AM
I actually started a thread earlier this week where I said I had done a search and did all the normal troubleshooting from Bruno's site. I didn't seem to be getting much response from that thread. I've driven it 50 hwy miles and a few city miles since last post and no trans program. I still think my car doesn't like my wife since both trans prog errors were when she was driving it. LOL.