PDA

View Full Version : Whats a bad wheel bearing sound like?

DaCan23
11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
I have this noise coming from the back drivers wheel of my E24 and I was thinking it might be the bearing. Its usually there first thing and can go away as things warm up. Its a light moderate knock every few rotaions or so. Happens in gear or neutral while coasting.

Thanks

peks
11-18-2005, 10:47 AM
wheel bearings usually a groaning sound that gets worse and louder over time. that sound like something else. does it happen when going over bumps? try to pinpoint it

Bill R.
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
chittering sound and higher pitched..I could hear it best when driving close to the center median so the sound would bounce back at me.. Didn't matter neutral or in gear.. Yours sounds more like possibly a cv joint or even a brake pad/caliper or brake shoe on the ebrake.

I have this noise coming from the back drivers wheel of my E24 and I was thinking it might be the bearing. Its usually there first thing and can go away as things warm up. Its a light moderate knock every few rotaions or so. Happens in gear or neutral while coasting.

Thanks

Karl
11-18-2005, 11:55 AM
On my e12 wheel bearing sounded something between a groan and a buzz, and didn't occur at city street speeds.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-18-2005, 12:04 PM
On a friend's E36 the sound was like a big 4x4 truck with knobby tires running down the road at ~50mph.

DaCan23
11-18-2005, 12:12 PM
It could be related to the brakes, will have to check it out in the spring as wont have time to fully diagnose before winter storage. Just was curious if I should prepare for major $$ then.

Thanks

Torque
11-18-2005, 12:27 PM
The worse it gets, the more it's gonna sound like there's a angle grinder stuck in your wheel, in the ON position. lol