PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Battery Info

DaCan23
11-18-2005, 09:49 AM
So I know the E34 is gonna need a new battery, if it already doesnt. I've been considering a BMW battery from the Stealer, because the one in my car is the Original battery. But the $150+ cost has been tough to swallow.

In Roundel this month a Tech Talk item helped me answer my question.

"The original BMW batteries that come with the cars are excellent and very durable. It's not unusual for them to last ten years or longer. BUT the replacement batteries sold by BMW NA are different, even though they look the same. They are manufactured by Deta Douglass in the US instead of Varta in Germany and frankly they suck. The replacement BMW batteries are very expensive, and it is common for them to fail in 2-4 years."

So I'll be going with the popular Autozone 49D or the Interstate Batteries MTP-91 which they recommeneded, both are vented like we need.

Javier
11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
my original German Varta, died in Oct94. (my car was received in April 02, manufactured about Feb92).

Then I bough an American Battery??? that lasted to Nov00, and then I got a Delco that is still in service.

Javier

Bill R.
11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
batteries are made by Johnson controls, autozone and interstate, both batteries have 850cca, interstate has 85 month warranty , autozone has 84 month, autozone has 2 year straight replacement ,no prorate and the interstate has a year and a half.. the autzone is 65.99 and the interstate is 111.00.... not a tough choice for me to make.. Also johnson controls owns Varta too so, they own all 3 of these battery manufacturers..

So I know the E34 is gonna need a new battery, if it already doesnt. I've been considering a BMW battery from the Stealer, because the one in my car is the Original battery. But the $150+ cost has been tough to swallow.

In Roundel this month a Tech Talk item helped me answer my question.

"The original BMW batteries that come with the cars are excellent and very durable. It's not unusual for them to last ten years or longer. BUT the replacement batteries sold by BMW NA are different, even though they look the same. They are manufactured by Deta Douglass in the US instead of Varta in Germany and frankly they suck. The replacement BMW batteries are very expensive, and it is common for them to fail in 2-4 years."

So I'll be going with the popular Autozone 49D or the Interstate Batteries MTP-91 which they recommeneded, both are vented like we need.

GS535i
11-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I also choked at the tarriff for a new gp 49 battery .... $160 + 15% GST; winter storage has been a contibuting cause of premature battery death.
Anyway, this time, I installed a very readily available gp 48 for < $100 from Cdn Tire ( most VWs use this, so they can be had anywhere). The case is ~2.5" shorter but is otherwise identical - well, I did lever the lip holddown under the rear seat a little, with a BFH ( the case lip is a little thicker than a #49).
The #48 has more than enough CCAs, a long warranty - and works like a charm.

DaCan23
11-18-2005, 10:45 AM
A some very good info, with all the Autozone discussions over the years, have you ever revealed that tidbit before? so I guess theres no question, Autozone it is.

batteries are made by Johnson controls, autozone and interstate, both batteries have 850cca, interstate has 85 month warranty , autozone has 84 month, autozone has 2 year straight replacement ,no prorate and the interstate has a year and a half.. the autzone is 65.99 and the interstate is 111.00.... not a tough choice for me to make.. Also johnson controls owns Varta too so, they own all 3 of these battery manufacturers..

Maki
11-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Wal-Mart batteries are also Johnson Controls products. I think their prices beat evan AutoZone.

I buy two things consistently from Wal-Mart: car batteries and Mobil One motor oil.

Paul in NZ
11-19-2005, 04:52 AM
i got a Hella battery seemed identical to the one that came out......

wingman
11-19-2005, 05:00 AM
My E12 eats batteries for breakfast. The alternator and all the electrics are fine but starting the bugger in cold weather just kills batteries. I've found Exide to be the best and Super Charge to be the worst (both 600CCA). Any other OZ drivers with battery thoughts?