PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle - 94 525/5

vaaccess
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
The idle on my car is a little rough, IMO. The idle sits at around 600 RPM when it's warm. Along with the rough idle at 600 RPM, I've also noticed that the car shakes a little when the RPMs are between 2K and 2.5K RPM. Another thing I've noticed is that sitting at idle, the idle oscillates slightly, which makes me think something might be sticking???

It has new plugs, a new air filter, the injectors were serviced, and I'm also running some Techron through the system and will repeat at the next tank, followed by an oil change to either Amsoil or Mobil1 ...not sure what weight I'll choose. (Recommendations? I'm in Richmond, VA.) I'm running premium gas in it now and I'm on the second tank, but I know the previous owner (just bought it) didn't...

On that, I've had one person say it could be a bad ground. Another has said it could be a sticky idle control valve. I had it at a good mechanic and he said the idle wasn't that bad and there were no codes in the system, etc.

If it is a sticky idle control valve, is that something the Techron will clear up?

Today I left work and the throttle was oscillating again. This time, I had my lights and fogs on and it caused them to dim then increase then dim, etc. I turned my fogs off and the oscillation stopped, though it was not idling 100% smoothly. Does this throw more fuel on the possibility that a bad ground could be a problem or is it just saying that my battery/alternator may be going?

I should note that after a few minutes of driving it didn't make a difference whether my fogs were on or off, the car idled fine.

Thanks for all the advice.
Mike