PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing and you

Jay 535i
11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Rustproofing. Good or bad? Discuss.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Rust Proofing is good.

Best done when the car is being assembled, or at least new.

Or

When you tear it apart for a restoration project.
There is some cool stuff out there that converts and seals rust POR-15

Avoid the drill & fill guys.

They put a S**t load of new holes in every place to inject the rust proofing, coating everything including the window regulators, motors, filling drain weep holes and sealing in a load of dirt

kyleN20
11-17-2005, 07:50 PM
dont wanna talk about rust
haha

Dan in NZ
11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
E34's seem pretty rust-proof as they are...

Incantation
11-17-2005, 11:58 PM
back east in montreal they have some new (to me, anyway) process where they spray some oil on the undercarriage.. but mostly on the bolts and stuff (strut towers) and things like that.. a very thin film which is supposed to protect cars from the elements..

just found out about that.. seems like a good idea

Jose
11-18-2005, 01:38 AM
Pretty rustproof depending where you live. I live in the Netherlands and it's moist throughout the whole year so I get to see a rusty E34 at least once every two months. They tend to rust like crazy under the jack points as water puddles around it in the inner beam. Other than that, pretty rust proof, but rust proofing any car if wanting to drive it for many more years to come, no exaggeration at all.

Jay 535i
11-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Pretty rustproof depending where you live. I live in the Netherlands and it's moist throughout the whole year so I get to see a rusty E34 at least once every two months. They tend to rust like crazy under the jack points as water puddles around it in the inner beam. Other than that, pretty rust proof, but rust proofing any car if wanting to drive it for many more years to come, no exaggeration at all.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The E34 does seem pretty rust resistant, but I think rustproofing is a good idea.

Several years ago my father owned a Jaguar XJ-S, which he rustproofed religiously every year. It's still the only XJ-S I've ever seen with no rust on it. He drove it year round, so something was working.

I lived in Amerdam for a few years, BTW. Just a few meters from Nieuwmarkt.

Picatavi
11-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Anyone have anything bad to say about oil spray treatment Incantation mentioned? It's pretty popular here in Vermont. I wonder about attracting dirt and stuff and messing things up. As an alternative, my plan is to run the car through the car wash (paying for the undercarriage spray option) every other week throughout the winter to keep the salt off.

Jay 535i
11-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Anyone have anything bad to say about oil spray treatment Incantation mentioned? It's pretty popular here in Vermont. I wonder about attracting dirt and stuff and messing things up. As an alternative, my plan is to run the car through the car wash (paying for the undercarriage spray option) every other week throughout the winter to keep the salt off.

I think the undercarriage oil spray does a good job of protecting the underside of your car, but not much else.

I'm more thinking along the lines of Krown or Rust Check, where they spray the product inside everything they can. But they don't drill. I'm pretty sure that stuff does work. But, my car is 15 years old and virtually rust free, so I wonder if it really needs anything.