PDA

View Full Version : E39 Brake help

NJ1
11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Hello. I am new to the board, so I'd like to introduce myself. I have a 2000 528i which I bought as a CPO in '01 and have loved ever since. So far, it has been dealer maintained, but $900 brake jobs are getting old. It has been absolutely trouble free, and is now due for another brake job (70,000 miles on it).

I searched the archives and still have a few questions:

1. I wanted to go with Raybestos QS ceramics--but can only find them for the rear--do they make them for the front, and if so, where might I find them?

2. Any suggestions on Rotor brands would help.

3. The sensor has not lit yet--should I change out the sensors as well?

4. Should I bleed/replace the brake fluid. I am thinking about spending the 50-60 bucks for a pressure bleeder--is it worth it?

5. Any special tools/tips that would make my life easier for this job?

Thanks in advance.

Tiger
11-17-2005, 03:54 PM
1.Brake pad choices are slim... I'd probably use PBR Deluxe Plus as my choice unless I can get Axxis Ultimate... which is NOT the same as PBR Ultimate. If you really want ceramic, TireRack has them but pricy at $91 a set made by Hawk.

2.ATE is my choice. Balo is OE but I would use Brembo.

3. You can reuse sensor if still good... can always get em at dealer if needed.

4. Yes, it is worth it.

5. Look for E39 website to assist you.

NJ1
11-18-2005, 06:17 AM
1.Brake pad choices are slim... I'd probably use PBR Deluxe Plus as my choice unless I can get Axxis Ultimate... which is NOT the same as PBR Ultimate. If you really want ceramic, TireRack has them but pricy at $91 a set made by Hawk.

3. You can reuse sensor if still good... can always get em at dealer if needed.

4. Yes, it is worth it.

5. Look for E39 website to assist you.

Thanks for the reply. What isthe "E39 website"?

Bill R.
11-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Raybestos Pgplus noise solution pads on it , the customer has been quite happy with them but they aren't a ceramic, just a better quality pad from raybesto's.

Hello. I am new to the board, so I'd like to introduce myself. I have a 2000 528i which I bought as a CPO in '01 and have loved ever since. So far, it has been dealer maintained, but $900 brake jobs are getting old. It has been absolutely trouble free, and is now due for another brake job (70,000 miles on it).

I searched the archives and still have a few questions:

1. I wanted to go with Raybestos QS ceramics--but can only find them for the rear--do they make them for the front, and if so, where might I find them?

2. Any suggestions on Rotor brands would help.

3. The sensor has not lit yet--should I change out the sensors as well?

4. Should I bleed/replace the brake fluid. I am thinking about spending the 50-60 bucks for a pressure bleeder--is it worth it?

5. Any special tools/tips that would make my life easier for this job?

Thanks in advance.

Tiger
11-18-2005, 07:52 AM
I think this is it... I remember a website that has all the info about E39's... http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/

I didn't realize that Bentley already have a service manual for your car too... buy it at Amazon or Buy.com... I think Buy.com has 10% off Amazon price.

Interceptor
11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I second this - ATE PowerDisc is one of the best brake discs you can buy and still keep your pants on.