PDA

View Full Version : 1991 318is turned off in cold weather

FJM318IS
11-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Good morning to everyone. I have a 1991 318is with 170,00 miles. The weather just recently got cold over night. In the past I have not had any idle problems. While I was driving to work this morning it suddenly turned off. I turned it back on and it turned on just fine. Then as the car was idleling more than usual, I tried driving it again and it was struggling to stay on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

billb
11-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Good morning to everyone. I have a 1991 318is with 170,00 miles. The weather just recently got cold over night. In the past I have not had any idle problems. While I was driving to work this morning it suddenly turned off. I turned it back on and it turned on just fine. Then as the car was idleling more than usual, I tried driving it again and it was struggling to stay on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Idle control valves have trouble sometimes in cold weather. Not sure if this is your issue. Just cutting off leads me to ignition, or some sort of sensor malfunction (crank or cam position?). Also, could be throttle position sensor, or engine coolant temp. Also check that all vacuum hoses are in good shape, as it could be a massive vacuum leak. Any check engine lights when it cuts off?