PDA

View Full Version : Update on the coolant leak

granit_silber
11-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Couple of weeks ago I changed my thermostat, gasket, and water pump.
After the change I had a small coolant leak that I figured out was the gasket (I didn't know I had to scrape the old paper gasket off). So I re-did the stat and gasket and still had a leak. After a while the leak got smaller and smaller so I figured that the gasket was breaking in and everything was going to fine.

This morning I get the "coolant level" check control and the expansion tank is empty.

I'm not sure, but I think I found the leak :D

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/26/tstathousing2vw.jpg

The housing and block were scraped clean. The bolts are torqued properly.....

So, I'm taking a step backward and replacing the AL housing with the BMW plastic one that uses RUBBER gaskets (rubber gaskets? what a freakin good idea!).

-ashley

tim
11-17-2005, 08:15 AM
There are different schools of thought, but I use a little permatex blue on both sides of the regular gasket when i set it up after using a solvent on the mating surfaces. Torque the bolts slowly, like you would for wheel lugs- going around the clock, skipping one each time. Also, an overtensioned belt will blow out the new bearing quick.

As far as the aluminum versus plastic- I guess it doesn't matter. I guess aluminum is more prone to molding defects like flashing, but I can't help thinking that if you can get it on without leaking, that it would be better.

Tiger
11-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Thermostat housing... plastic will leak as it age.

granit_silber
11-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Thermostat housing... plastic will leak as it age.
I figured that I would replace it on the same cycle as the water pump and stat.
-ashley

uscharalph
11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Couple of weeks ago I changed my thermostat, gasket, and water pump.
After the change I had a small coolant leak that I figured out was the gasket (I didn't know I had to scrape the old paper gasket off). So I re-did the stat and gasket and still had a leak. After a while the leak got smaller and smaller so I figured that the gasket was breaking in and everything was going to fine.

This morning I get the "coolant level" check control and the expansion tank is empty.

I'm not sure, but I think I found the leak :D

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/26/tstathousing2vw.jpg

The housing and block were scraped clean. The bolts are torqued properly.....

So, I'm taking a step backward and replacing the AL housing with the BMW plastic one that uses RUBBER gaskets (rubber gaskets? what a freakin good idea!).

-ashley
Did you ever change the radiator cap?